for those of you who were really afraid to go into labor...

Once you got the the hospital and found out that you WERE really in labor and everything started happening were you still really scared? Was it as scary as you thought??

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 11:54 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Well I didn't get to the hospital first... I woke up feeling icky and when I went to the bathroom I had bloody streaks on my tissue. I did freak out a little bit because I was thinking "I'm 38 weeks... it can't possibly be time yet!" I climbed into the tub and called the doctor and pushed up my appointment for the day. I went in an hour later and they brought me into the back... I sat down on the table and GUSH! There went my water. Once I knew, I felt excited. Not at all scared. The contractions didn't really hurt, either. I was laughing and goofing off while in labor (I was only in labor for 4 hours) I do remember when it was time to push, I felt so nervous and scared I wanted to throw up. But once I did my first push, it was like a rush of adrenaline pumped through me and I was completely stoked. In my head I was cheering "YES YES YES!" So nope. Not at all as scary as I thought.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 11:59 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• I was terrified about what labor would feel like because everyone I talked to kept telling me how much it would hurt. I prepared for the worst and was surprised it turned out way better than I feared. The mind is a dangerous thing, I tell you. Don't let your fears push you away!
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 12:01 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• i calmed down. i was worried about it during month 8 and then i just decided to accept it and i never took classes but i had the easiest labor and delivery. 15 hours from the first contraction i had my daughter, and i was only at the hospital for 5 hours. i pushed from 20 minutes. water always soothes me so i sat in the whirlpool tub, and breathing always helps me as well. you can try music, scented candles, massage, etc.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 12:10 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• With my first son, oh my gosh I was terrified. I was 37 weeks when I had my first son and my husband was in hour away at the academy.I remember telling my nurses that I wasn't going to push until my husband was there..lol With my second son, it was such a horrible but blessed day. I was 28 weeks preggo and my son wanted out. I had an emergency c/s due to my placenta bleeding, wasn't dialating past 7cm after an Epi and my son was in distress. He weighed only 2lbs 12oz and spent 47 days in the NICU. With my third son, I was put on bedrest at the hospital. I knew my chances of another preemie was higher. After a week, I gave birth to my son at 29 weeks by repeat c/s. He weighed 3lbs 4oz and spent 37 days in the NICU. I wasn't as scared with my third son, since I knew what to expect and I was a wake during my c/s.
    azn_ladie82

Answer by azn_ladie82 at 1:02 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I was scared with my 2nd baby bc I was having a VBAC... but I relaxed and when I went into labor, I actually calmed down. I was still a but scared I might have to have another c-section, but I had faith in my body and let it do it's job. I didn't go to the hospital right away and I labored at home for 23 hours, but when I did go to the hospital I was confident in myself and everything went great :). I had a wonderful natural & uncomplicated delivery.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Apr. 17, 2009