when do you start feeding your baby Food?

when can you start putting rice cereal in the bottle, or given them baby food.? when can you use teething tablets or numbing gel?

babylove011209

Asked by babylove011209 at 11:56 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i've asked my pedi they say not until 5 or 6 months. they recommend not to but baby cereal in bottles.
    marcelina08

Answer by marcelina08 at 11:57 PM on Apr. 16, 2009

• You shouldn't put rice in the bottle except for reflux as directed by your doctor... all solids should be given by spoon.
    Baby food- it's suggested to wait until they are 6 months... but many are started between 4-6 months on rice cereal. But you baby should be able to sit supported and not spit it out... if your baby can't do that then you have to wait longer.
    Teething tablets- I think are ok at any age... 3 months and on??
    Numbing gel.. it should say on the tube I think.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:01 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• i started my son on cereal when he was 2 months old but he was ready and my daughter wasnt ready for cereal untill she was about 5 months. every baby is different just look for the signs you out of any and everyone will notice any changes, teething tablets are usually given when you actually see the teeth poking through the skin, have you ever tried that numbing gel i did and it tastes horible i only use that if i think my child is in extreme teething pain, it numbed my throat with one drop.
    emleejane

Answer by emleejane at 12:02 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• no cereal in the bottle unless it is for medical reasons directed by a ped. there are things to look for when deciding to start solids. the window is typically from 4-7 months. earlier can cause problems and later can cause problems. does you child sit well supported? does he/she show and interest in food? what does your ped say. the biggest clue for me was when my daughter turned 5 months old she immediately begin watching everyone eat over and over. i have videos and you can see her eyes follow the food! i was going to delay until 6 months, but she told me 5 months was a good time for her and it worked great!
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 12:04 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• As other said, don't put cereal in the bottle. BM or formula is all baby needs until 6 months, but if you really want to start at 4-5 months talk to your doctor. I wouldn't use the numbing gel on a little one... just give your baby a teething ring, you can put it in the freezer if you want. What they really need is something the chew on.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:20 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I started feeding my kids rice cereal at a month old and I started them on fruits & veggies at 4 months.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 12:19 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Listen to the health experts and the research, not what other moms did. Virtually all health organizations say nothing but breastmilk or formula for the first 6 months.
    Unfortunately, many health care providers are not up to date in what they're telling parents, and many, many books are not up to date.

Based on recent research, the AAP and other health organizations recommend that all babies be exclusively breastfed (no cereal, juice or any other foods) for the first 6 months of life (NOT the first 4-6 months).

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends against adding cereal to the bottle. You will find lots of moms who gave baby ceral in the bottle (for reflux, or because they wanted to) and their baby is now "fine". Just because their baby did not have a negative reaction does not mean that your baby won't.
    Read this article before you put cereal in a bottle: Baby Bottles and Cereal http://www.drgreene.com/21_861.html
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:46 PM on Apr. 17, 2009