Odd Thumb Sucking Situation

My daughter refused a binky when she was an infant, which was fine with me. But at 14 months old she went to a friends house and found a binky, and her friend let her have it, (and i was fine with it). After about 2 weeks i decided that she could only have it for bed, and she did fine. Well a month after her 2nd bday i took the bink away, made a big deal about wrapping it like a present and sending them to the "booby" babies (newborns). She was really good about it for 8 whole days, then one day she looks at me, sticks her thumb out and says, "look mommy, i got a finger binky" and has been an ADDICT ever since. all day everyday thumb in the mouth. she is developing a slobber rash from it. how can i get her to stop?

trepsica

Asked by trepsica at 11:58 PM on Apr. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• go to the drug store and ask the pharmacist for the name of the stuff. i think its like "bitter" something, but its a liquid you paint onto the thumbs and when they put it in their mouth its disgusting so its supposed to make them not want to suck their thumbs anymore. this worked for my younger sister, we had to do it every night and day for about 2 weeks, but it worked.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:02 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• She's barely 2 why worry about it. Chances are she will break herself from it just like the binky.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:42 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I wouldn't worry about it either. My 2 yr old sucks his thumb quite happily. Pediatrician says not to worry about it until closer to 5. Try a little vaseline on the rash (or whatever you may have used when drooling caused rashes) at night to see if that helps.
    Anonymous

• she didn't break herself from the bink, i did. and she keeps getting diarrhea and i have a feeling it is from 'butt" hands. basically she gets germs on her hands and then sucks her thumb. she is getting diarrhea once a week or so.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 4:56 PM on Apr. 17, 2009