High Speed Rail Systems?

Love it? or Leave it?
What do you think?

BabyBeans0506

Asked by BabyBeans0506 at 12:17 AM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It is just as well the critical opinions expressed here were not dominant in the 1800s or the great trans-continental railroads would never have been built. I don't deny there are issues to be raised, not the least of them financing, but the oil is running out and once the recession is over oil prices wiil leap upwards again. Why can Europeans try to rise to the challenges posed by a changing world and Americans just sweep them under the carpet and pretend they don't exist?
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 6:29 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I am very excited about this idea. I would love to be able to travel to more places without paying air fare prices or going as slow as a train or greyhound would allow. I only wish it was already up and running. Europeans know the benefits of a system like this.
    I would get to see my family so much more!!!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:23 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I love high speed rail. I used to use it when I lived in Europe. Our country is so behind when it comes to mass transit.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:34 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• As long as they didn't have a no-pet policy, like the regular trains, I'm all for it! I hate having to fly my show dogs because the train has a no animal policy in baggage. It's soooo expensive!
    Sharon7772

Answer by Sharon7772 at 12:35 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I would love to have the one that's been proposed for California.

Of course, I'd also love to see better mass transit in SoCal overall. It's horrid.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:03 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I too have used high-speed rail in Europe and I love it. The Governments there are in many cases expanding rail services for both passengers and freight , sometimes with both govt. and private funding and are even relaying track on lines closed down decades ago. It is costly though, and with the auto and oil ndustries being so powerful among the lawmakers in Washington, it is difficult to see how it will happen in the foreseeable future. Another example of the US lagging behind because of political short-sightedness and the power of vested interests behind elected senators & congressmen ( and women ).
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 1:27 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Limited use and impractical for the majority of the country.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:35 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• its about time. I saw a post re: pets. Honestly just as smoking is personal preference so are pets and both affect others espec. in close quarters. I say NO on pets.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:04 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Who is paying for it? Federal, State, and Local? Of which, what is the TAX INCREASE to build, run, and successfully manage a program? Who is responsible for paying for the security? Do we want a multi-billion dollar project that is as efficiently poorly ran as AMTRAK? It isn't as simple as like it or leave it, imo..  Yes, I love to travel the TGV. But the cost to travel is still higher than (for example) AMTRAK, which is a financially struggling transportation industry.  If Amtrak had any signs of being lucrative and popular, I would be more inclined to say maybe.  How many Americans do they "project" will actually USE a HSR? Where are the studies to show cost, potential use? We already have the failing airlines, do we want to add more?  What are the plans to MAKE HSR DIFFEENT? BETTER?

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:10 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Grly- We are paying for it ! The money was in the stimulus bill and there is probably more in the new budget he is going to try and pass. Duh.

Amtrak has been around a long time and it sucks and they are shutting routes and stations down every year. It's hemorhaging money and Obama thinks adding more money to it to expand and make it better will help just like he thinks throwing money at every other so called problem will work.
    It obviously can't work here in the USA and be cost effective. Besides zippy rail is not something we need to be entertaining in a recession. When you are broke you do with what you have.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:44 AM on Apr. 17, 2009