when and how should i start potty training my lil one

hi all my daughter is now 13 months and i have been told by quite a few already that i should start potty training her but i dont thin kshes quite ready for a few reasons one shes not talking with words yet she just got the hang of walking and running around comfortably she hasnt learned to climb yet so i dont know is it just me being over protective or are my instincts right with its too soon still?? what r ur thoughts

m.wallace

Asked by m.wallace at 12:32 AM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Absolutely not. If you're not putting her in day care ( they require it at a certain age). You shouldn;t worry about it. My dds did not start till 2. First of all they have to talk to tell you they have to go. I'd buy a potty and put it near the toilet you use and let her see her using it and then say . Oh, Mom went in the potty. My little one was soon following me in and pulling down her pants. But the worst you can do is to start when she and you aren't ready. She has to be very stable and able to tell you that she need to go when you are out. Personally I think 2 is plenty old enough unless they showed that they wanted to start on their own
    sanskrit

Answer by sanskrit at 12:38 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Actually you can use sign language with them so that they can tell you that they need to go. My little niece had some medical problems so she was behind on talking and at daycare they started using sign language and told my sister so she could use it at the house. It really helped and once my niece got her surgery and was all better she immediately started talking. Using sign language has many benefits for babies and it has been proven to not hinder them from talking. Sign babies also tend to have higher iqs (by about ten points) and have bigger vocabularies. If you want to potty train her than do it. There isnt a reason NOT to. But it is definately your baby so you can do it as you wish. I have a friend who has a 2 1/2year old that isnt potty trained. The doc told her to try if she wants but that it doesnt have to been done.
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 12:57 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• At the daycare i work at...we dont start the potty training process until the child is 2. By then they are starting to talk and are able to let you know one way or the other if they need to go, and they understand the concept of it all. My son is 2 1/2 he has been in undies for about 5 mths now and has gotten the pee pee down...its just the poop we are having trouble with...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:25 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• My son is 9 months and we are going to start training in about a month. It used to be that kids were trained much earlier before disposable diapers came out... around 13-18 months... but now it's too easy to just pee in a diaper and kids are 2-3 years before they are trained.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:37 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• My daughter was potty trained by the time she was 1 1/2 I purchased her own little potty and we even came up with a cute little pee pee in the potty song. Everytime I had to go she came in with me and I showed her how to use the toilet and told her It's for big girls and told her she is going to be a big girl like mommy. I also started showing her how to put diapers on her babies and told her they are not big girls like us so they have to still use the diaper so she felt like a big girl like mom and eventually started going to her little potty when I went. afterwards I would give her a lollipop and tell her how proud I was of her . but all kids are different so you could try it and see what happens. If not then maybe she is just not ready yet. GL
    faithsMoM27

Answer by faithsMoM27 at 3:09 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• My oldest son was 3 1/2, second son was 2 1/2, and my daughter was 2. My boys are exactly 12 months 5 days apart and when we potty trained the oldest, my other son just followed suit. And because we waited until they were ready, we had no accidents and they slept through out the night without needing pull-ups and all that crap. It was GREAT!! So I definitly say WAIT UNTIL SHE'S READY. Less mess that way and less stress for you!!!
    SlapHappi

Answer by SlapHappi at 2:27 PM on Apr. 17, 2009