Never Sleeps

OK I have a 3 week old daughter and for whatever reason I cannot get her to sleep. I have a son that is 1 and he slept all the time. And now, whenever I put her down (even when she is in a deep sleep) she wakes up crying or screaming. And normally I would let her cry a little, but now if I do she wakes up my older one. I don't know what to do. She barely falls asleep with her dad, its mainly me that she does it to. I know I can't hold her all the time but I really don't know what to do. Any advice?

proud_mommy1322

Asked by proud_mommy1322 at 12:34 AM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She might possibly be a little colicky hun. Try asking her doctor about some medicine for her tummy I had to do that for my son he always cried and never slept. Also try a bath right before bed and use Johnson and Johnsons lavender sleepy time bath wash this was a miracle worker for my son! Good luck mama
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 12:36 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• She is only three weeks so try letting her sleep with you for a little while. When she gets into the groove of sleeping, transfer her to a bassinet by the bed. That is all I can recommend trying. I dont know if it will help but if it means you will get some sleep it is probably worth it! And like the first mom said, try some lavender scented wash and getting her tummy checked out. Babies at her age should be sleeping like you said so there is most likely a problem keeping her from sleeping. Mine has never been a good napper unless she is in the car or in my arms. Good Luck!!!
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 12:52 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• "Sleeps like a baby" is the biggest lie on the planet.

Mine never slept at that age either. Yes, you CAN hold her as much as she needs, and you should. Don't think it's "spoiling." It's not.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:55 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• She's only 3 weeks old. It could be any number of things. She could be High Needs. She NEEDS the contact of her mother. It's not a want but a need. Hold her as much as possible and wear her in a sling. Try co-sleeping. If done properly it's so safe.

2. Allergies. If breastfeeding some proteins which get into your milk through your food can be causing an allergic reaction. DD was allergic to soy and milk. Had to stop eating them for about 6-8 months. If formula fed then switch formulas to an allergy free one.

3. Reflux - DD also had extremely bad reflux exacerbated by allergies. When they lay down it's easier for the acid to flow back up. Try propping her crib/bassinet with a rolled blanket or pillow underneath the mattress.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 12:56 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• My son does this too, I found that turning on the vacuum keeps him asleep. I guess it's the white noise, so maybe try turning a radio onto a station that is just static.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 12:57 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• could b colic or ear infection or a number of things just hold her as much as u can get one of those baby carriers its the best thing when a baby is like that that way she still gets to b close to her mommy when she needs it and u still have 2 free hands to do wat u need to do good luck
    cocobutt2002

Answer by cocobutt2002 at 1:29 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• My son did the exact same thing. They're still getting use to life outside the womb. For 9 months they were warm, snuggled into a little ball, and surrounded by the sounds of your heart and body. Now they're sort of out in space with lots of room to flail, and the world can feel a little crazy and lonely and cold sometimes. I found that what worked best for my son was to wear him in a wrap sling during the day to help him get some sleep. Then when he was "caught up" on sleep after a few days (if they are sleep deprived it is actually harder for them to fall and stay asleep), I used principles I learned from the "90 Minute Baby Sleep Solution" which has tons of info on sleep patterns in babies. From the moment they wake up, they have an alertness cycle that can either help or hinder them from falling asleep. I learned how to recognize his tired signs and how to soothe him to sleep during the right window of time.
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 2:02 AM on Apr. 17, 2009