how much do you feed your child in a day?

i give my son a snack between breakfast and lunch, and lunch and dinner. and its always something little like cut up apples or something or else he wont be hungry for his next meal. how much do you feed your children? should i be giving my son more to eat?

exxOHjackie

Asked by exxOHjackie at 12:35 AM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would be more concerned with WHAT you feed him rather then how many times a day you feed him...I have a 15month old and we been through it all. I tried the three meals then the snacks in between it doesnt work. They will eat when they are hungry. Make sure you are giving at each meal a small portion of each of the following. Milk, fiber, protein, fruits, veggies! I think that is it...you want their bodies to have all of it in one sitting. Hope this helps.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 12:39 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• i do breakfast and then no snack, and right when my kids wake up from there nap i give them an apple or banana then nothing elser until dinner because i use to have the same problem
    emleejane

Answer by emleejane at 12:50 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• nope, you sound like how I feed my 2 yr old. Thats perfect, and what the doctor told me is pretty much how you are doing it. I give my daughter snacks too because sometimes she is in a picky mood and wont eat as much of her meal, so I know she is not starving if she gets some kind of snack in between meals
    Mom2Rylin

Answer by Mom2Rylin at 1:18 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• You have to go by what you feed him more than anything. If you're not feeding him when he's hungry, then you should feed more. If he's not finishing what you offer, then you're offering too much. Just follow his cues.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:23 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• No, I think 3 meals and 2 snacks sounds about right. Like others said, keep the food healthy and if he's hungry, feed him. I wouldn't recommend bedtime snacks as that can encourage nightmares and sleep problems, but other than that...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:22 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I wake her up..(8am) she gets a sippy of milk, and a few gerber puffs. at 10 am I make breakfast, and she gets 1/2 a sippy of milk. lunch is at 12-1pm. Then she gets a sippy of juice. Dinner is at 4-6pm, pending on her nap, and she normally eats two small dinner meals. I make dinner, and she has a little of that, then Grandma makes dinner and she has a little of that. Then she gets a sippy after dinner. And one more before bed. Sometimes she gets a bedtime snack if she wants one before we got to bed and brush our teeth.

She lets me know if she wants a snack or not.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:55 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Keep focusing on what you offer and follow his cues on how often. My son doesn't like to eat right when he gets up but will drink some milk. and maybe a few bites of something Sometimes he wants a snack before lunch but most days he goes directly to lunch. Since he then tends to eat a good lunch, this works for us. I usually offer a midafternoon snack so that he can eat dinner with us around 6. Sometimes he eats it, and sometimes he doesn't. As long as you're offering healthy foods, he'll do the rest. (which may involve not eating much some days!)
    Anonymous