What to do with a 1yr. old?

I have a 13month old son and I just had a baby 3 weeks ago. I feel bad when I have to spend more time with the new baby and less with my son. But it seems like all he does from that time he wakes up until the time he goes to bed is whine and cry. I know he is teething but I think its more because I am spending more time with his sister. What kind of fun activities can i do with him when she's sleeping?

proud_mommy1322

Asked by proud_mommy1322 at 12:37 AM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would think just some quiet mommy, son, rocking and reading time would be good. Just be patient, he doesn't understand why you are suddenly spending HIS time on the baby. He will get over it soon once he gets adjusted. Good luck Mommy!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:40 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Is the 3wk old sleeping during the day? Take your son for a walk to the park, play soccer with him. I have a 15month old he loves to go to the BIG open field parks and just RUN it knocks him on his butt come bed time!!! She can sleep in the stoller when you guys play just keep an eye on your surroundings of course. Getting them both out of the house will help the crying AND help you relax! Good luck
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 12:41 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I suggest going to www.amazon.com and searching "busy book" in the books category. Choose one, and buy it. I have a Busy Book for Toddlers, and it has a ton of ideas for toddlers. I'm too tired to come up with anything more creative than that right now. Haha.
    Senae

Answer by Senae at 12:44 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I feel your pain. My daughter is 14 months and my son is 6 weeks. When he sleeps I read stories to my girls, or pull out the blocks and build random stuff. If he refuses to sleep and my daughter really needs my attention, I put him on with my sling and it makes it so much easier to hold both kids at the same time.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 12:44 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• my kids are 14 months apart and believe me spend more time with the older sibling, they need it more than the baby, the baby just needs to be fed, diapers, burped and you can include your 13 month old into all of it, give them a bottle and have them put it together for you, of course they probably wont get it together but its the idea that they are trying and being involved, or help stack diapers, or burp rags, or i use to have my son shake the clothes when i folded them because that was his way of trying to help mommy fold, the eldest needs more interactive attention at this point and the older they get the better it gets they start to play with each other its wonderful, people give me a hard time sometimes but its so great because now they interact and fight and love on each other its great!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    emleejane

Answer by emleejane at 12:48 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• When my boys got jealous of the new baby, I made sure that when the baby was sleeping, I'd spend time with big brother (s). I'd either play with them or watch their favorite cartoon. It's tough being the older sibling and having to share time with your mom/dad.
    azn_ladie82

Answer by azn_ladie82 at 12:49 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• With a baby that young, you can get a comfortable sling or wrap (my daughter loved the Mobywrap as a newborn) and go to the park, especially as the weather gets nice. Babies as young as yours can usually still sleep well on the go. Mine were 15 months apart... it will get easier.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:11 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• The best thing to do, is when you put the baby to bed.. spend an hour before his bedtime, just you and I, and spend some quality time with him.. make it special.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:57 AM on Apr. 17, 2009