i spend too much money

and i cant stop. what can i do? should i go to therapy for it? honestly my husband will tell me 'okay stop spending money' and then i will say 'okay im sorry' and then spend more! its a serious problem!!! any suggestions? do they have a program for this?

aliciatron

Asked by aliciatron at 12:40 AM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Money & Work

• I feel the same way! i know i have to stop spending, and it is so hard when i see something just so cute for my daughter! But i really have become a better person with it. When you really see that you just CAN NOT afford it, it is easier to stop! but i know its hard! hang in there, and try to stop! LOL if you want we can start SAA (shoppers annon) LOL
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 8:48 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Yes, unfortunately the only thing you can do is to get rid of your car and stay at home! I have the same problem, but when I stay at home, it doesn't happen.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• i use to have that problem really bad but now i stay home and its still slightly bad i usually always have my husband bring something home for me whether it be a newspaper or magazine or something to munch on or picking up a movie its always something small but it makes me feel just as if i went and spent loads of money, and without the guilt plus you get to be home with your little ones all day, bonus!!!!!
    emleejane

Answer by emleejane at 12:44 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Grow up get some discipline. People like to act like everything is an addiction. If it takes giving your credit cards and atm card to hubby to keep then do it. Find another activity to keep your mind off shopping. But you have to have the will power to do it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• no but i shop online!!!!
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 12:45 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Get a hobby, start to exercise, knit, crochet, scrapbook, something to keep you from buying things. Turn OFF the computer LOL. I used to shop all the time, then I had my son and with a 4 year old, 14 month old, and 6 week old there is no time to shop.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 12:53 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• get rid of your credit cards, no checks, no ATM cards. only carry enough cash for basic needs for the week. Maybe even have your husband go with you grocery shopping so he can pay, so you don't have to have the cash.

you can't spend much if you don't have access to funds.

read some good books on the subject. maybe financial counseling.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 12:54 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Is shopping making you feel better?Like are you down and shopping gives you a boost?For me I shop when I am depressed. So I learned to examine the reasons for shopping. Really for me it was a reason to get out of the house. My hubby is military so he would be gone for a few months and I would want some type of adult interaction.I guess what I am getting at is maybe you should try to figure out why you are spending.I have diverted my time towards playgroups and trying to stay busy with things outside of the home that are free. If you like to shop online maybe when you get that urge pick up a craft or something else that makes you feel good.I don't know about any therapy or anything like that but maybe if you thought about it you could find a way to curb this habit. A long with that I found that frequenting thrift stores was great because I could spend money but it was not a ton. Look at saving money like its a challenge.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:57 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• well i dont have a job and my husband makes decent money, i mean not a GREAT amount but enough. he needs to change his debit card number i think, or his paypal account password.
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 1:03 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Only use cash. Be responsible. Stay offline.Think of the consequences...or work extra to make shopping money
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 5:19 AM on Apr. 17, 2009