My son is 27 months and weighs 33 lbs. how should his car seat be?

All I put on him is the harness doese he now need the seat belt over him too?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• no, you don't use the seat belt until he no longer is in the harness. and hes still too young for the seat belt. you use the seat belt until he outgrows his current car seat then transfer him to a booster seat and that doesn't have a harness it just raises them in the seat so that they can wear the seat belt safely. he'll be in his current seat until he's about 4 or 5 depending on his weight and height. (i'm assuming the current seat looks just like a high back booster but has the harness on it)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:10 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• He needs to be in a 5 point harness until at LEAST 40 pounds.
    DyperDuty

Answer by DyperDuty at 1:38 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• You never use both.

Depending on your seat, he'll outgrow the harness by weight at 45 or 65lbs. (you'll have to monitor the height limit as well)

Now, if you're using LATCH, check with your car manual. Most hold to 40lbs, some to 45lbs. If it's 40, once he gets close to that weight, you'll have to start using the seatbelt to install the carseat.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:22 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Describe his car seat. How is it attached?
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 11:25 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• No. If his seat has a harness, you use the harness.

Once he goes to a booster seat - a seat that does NOT have a built in harness - you use the car's seat belt.

You never, ever use both at the same time.

I'd suggest you get your seat inspected to make sure you have installed it correctly and are using it correctly. It's usually free - and isn't your child's life worth a few minutes of time?
    http://www.seatcheck.org/
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:06 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Yes its installed correctly lol and it buckels in the back of the car seat and has a harness that goes over him. I just had a girl friend of mine send a pic of her baby in his car seat, same age as my son and she had the harness and the seat belt over him. I was a little confused and wanted to make sure I shouldnt have the seat belt in front. I just want to make sure hes safe but sounds like I already have it right. Thanks ladies!
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 3:31 PM on Apr. 17, 2009