What do republicans think about one of thier own coming out FOR gay marraige

- Steve Schmidt, a key architect of John McCain's presidential campaign, is making his first public return to Washington a bold one. Schmidt will use a speech Friday to Log Cabin Republicans, a gay rights group, to urge conservative Republicans to drop their opposition to same-sex marriage, CNN has learned. "There is a sound conservative argument to be made for same-sex marriage," Schmidt will say, according to speech excerpts obtained by CNN. "I believe conservatives, more than liberals, insist that rights come with responsibilities. No other exercise of one's liberty comes with greater responsibilities than marriage."
Schmidt makes both policy and political arguments for a Republican embrace of same-sex marriage.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• On the policy front, Schmidt likens the fight for gay rights to civil rights and women's rights, and he admonishes conservatives who argue for the protection of the unborn as a God-given right, but against protections for same-sex couples. "It cannot be argued that marriage between people of the same sex is un American or threatens the rights of others," he says in the speech. "On the contrary, it seems to me that denying two consenting adults of the same sex the right to form a lawful union that is protected and respected by the state denies them two of the most basic natural rights affirmed in the preamble of our Declaration of Independence — liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• "That, I believe, gives the argument of same sex marriage proponents its moral force," Schmidt will say.

Politically, he will say that becoming more open and accepting is critical to reversing an alarming trend for Republicans — a shrinking coalition. He will note that Republicans should be especially concerned that McCain got crushed by Barack Obama among voters under 30, who are generally more accepting of gay couples and at odds with the GOP.
    Anonymous

• We need to grow our coalition, but as I said, that's hard to do if we lose some votes while gaining others," says Schmidt. Schmidt had previously expressed his personal support for gay marriage. Last month, he told the Washington Blade newspaper that he is in favor of legalizing it and that he voted against California's Proposition 8. In making the case, Schmidt is putting himself at odds with the position of John McCain, whose 2008 campaign he effectively ran. McCain rarely talked about same-sex marriage or other social issues, but when he did, he made clear he was in line with social conservatives in opposing same-sex marriage. "Have no doubt about my commitment to the unique status and sanctity of marriage between man and woman,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• ," McCain said on the campaign trail. McCain's daughter Meghan has become a vocal advocate in recent months for gay marriage, and is slated to participate in the Log Cabin Republican convention this weekend. In his speech Friday, Schmidt will acknowledge that his is a "minority view" in the GOP, but will also say, "I'm confident American public opinion will continue to move on the question toward majority support, and sooner or later the Republican Party will catch up to it."
    Anonymous

• idk. Being a Republican doesn't define what I believe in. Some are against gay marriages, but some dont really care. He is a man that supports gays and happens to be a Republican
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• so Rudy Giuliani is a republican and is pro-choice
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 1:16 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I am thrilled!!!! I think that it is about time!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I was wondering when I'd made a public declaration, then I realized you were referring to one of the many thousands of other republicans who don't have a problem with it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:33 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• what do you all think of his REASONS??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:42 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• i ma not republican and am pro-gay marriage, and i think it is awesome!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on Apr. 17, 2009