Do you think after giving away a pet that you had for awhile dramitically affects the animal? I have to give my two cats away had them for 7 years & worry so much about them

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:19 AM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Pets

• I WORK WITH CATS N I'VE LEARNED THAT IT TAKE THEM AWHILE TO ADJUST BUT EVENTUALLY THEY DO...THEY WILL EITHER GO THRU NOT EATING , SLEEPING OR NOT USING THE BATHROOM. (NOT TO MAKE IT WORSE)... BUT IF THEY GO TO THE SAME HOME IT POSSIBLY WILL BE BETTER
    forgivingmom

Answer by forgivingmom at 1:22 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I think it does. I'm sure they eventually get over it. Unless, it's a bad enviorment for them to be in. Than I think they miss you.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 1:23 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Animals will adjust. I adopted this dog from a no kill shelter almost two years ago. He has been an absolute angel. No problems. Of course, the big adjustment was learning my rules. As I think his old owners let him get away with alot, such as jumping on the furniture. I don't let him do that. I wish I knew his history, but overall, he has adjusted wonderfully. We even started boarding him this past year while we travel. Other than stomach issues from the food changes, he has been fine.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:31 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Why do you have to get rid of them?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• My son is allergic he's 15 months & they throw up on his toys pretty much everywhere & i find hairs stuck to my sons face when he plays on the floor so I have to but I'm really going to miss them & pray they get adopted by nice people What breaks my heart the Cats are Mother & Daughter & probably will be seperated : ( ( Sniffle Sniffle )
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:42 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• YES. I was reading a book about Animals by the Human Society here at our library and it says that animals grieve for their families even when they are away for short periods of time. They have no concept of knowing when or if you will be back..just that you're gone. So when you go to work, your animal grieves for you. When you give a pet away (especially after having them for years) they grieve and miss you terribly.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 4:47 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Also REQUIRE that they do not be separated. Follow up with the new owners as well. Ask for their address and all phone numbers. If you care about them, especially if you love them like children, follow up (as you would if you've given up a child). These cats will miss you.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 4:48 PM on Apr. 17, 2009