How can I increase my milk supply? I am not producing enough milk right now. I just had to give my daughter formula and I don't want to do that. Please help!!!!

mommy2joeynabby

Asked by mommy2joeynabby at 1:36 AM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First and most important....What makes you think you're not producing enough milk? Diaper count is really the only thing that matters- as long as your baby is producing 5-8 WET diapers per day, you're fine.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 1:38 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• How do you know you werent producing enough? Also, join the Breastfeeding Mom's group asap. There is a thread on there about this topic with over 600 posts...you will find many ways to increase your supply if it is in fact low. The best way is to just have your baby nurse more often and on demand. Drink lots of liquids and also eat oatmeal. You will fill up overnight.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:39 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• There are things you can do to increase your supply if you want- you can take 4 capsules of Fenugreek, which can be found at your local drugstore or grocery store, 3 times per day, eat oatmeal, drink Mother's Milk tea.

Make sure that your daughter is actually hungry, and not just want to suck- a paci can fix this problem, unless you are against them, in which case, you'll have to let her pacify on you.

Also, you can pump in between feedings to increase supply. Stimulation = Production.

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me.

Good Luck!
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 1:41 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• DONT supplement at all. When she is hungry always give her the breast and switch if she empties that one. If there isnt enough she will just start eating more often for a day or two until your breasts adjust. Its the same as in a growth spurt.
    BUT!
    When my friend started taking birth control the hormones really did supress milk production so she did have to switch to formula.
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 1:41 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• your supposed to keep breastfeeding and pumping, that will make your supply increase. if you give her formula its going to slow it down even more.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:49 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• DRINK LOTS OF WATER!! Make sure you are eating enough!! I was so worried about my weight with my first daughter that I wasnt eating enough or drinking enough water to produce enough milk. I also made the mistake of supplementing her.....bad move. Until you get your supply back up make sure you avoid caffeine which is a diuretic (sp) and can dehydrate you. And listen to the other mommies, fenugreek and the breastfeeding support groups are very helpful!!
    vivianasmom

Answer by vivianasmom at 1:51 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I'm glad you're looking for information! When I was first nursing my son (he's 10.5 months now and still mostly nursing) I was supplementing with formula because I thought my supply was low. It's a really long story - but around 3 weeks I finally met with a lactation consultant who helped calm my fears and educate me about how breasts work to produce milk. I also found an amazing website called www.kellymom.com, which is full of evidence-based information regarding breastfeeding. Our culture is a very confusing one; the medical community tells us "breast is best" but then we're told to expect babies to eat on a schedule every 3-4 hours. There's a great link that saved my sanity when I was concerned about supply;
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html#supply

MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 1:57 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• If you DO have supply issues - use the search engine on kellymom to locate an IBCLC in your area. They are more experienced and recieve more education than your average lactation consultant.

There is also a group on CafeMom with support and information for women who have tubular breast deformities - which can interfere with nursing if your breast tissue does not have adequate mammory glands. I think I have a link on my page to the group - and if not - you can search for TheBodyShopMom's page - she's the group owner and has TONS of information.

I wish you the best!
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 1:59 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I also would like to know how you're judging your milk production. Pumping output doesn't tell you how much you are making because a pump will *never* be able to pull out as much milk as your baby. Watch wet diapers and weight gain.
    Also, babies go through growth spurts and when they do, they start nursing A LOT. They do this to tell your body to make more milk. Once your body begins producing enough milk for their new needs, they slow back down on nursing and find their routine.
    The more bottles (of breastmilk or formula) that you give are taking away that time at the breast that tells your body "Make more milk!" and it only hurts the supply, doesn't help it. Your baby will *not* starve itself, and if it *were* there would be many other signs before that happened (lack of wet diapers, weight loss, etc) so if you just keep on nursing and put baby to the breast as often as you can, I bet you'll work it out in a day or 2.
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 4:39 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• We absolutely need more information. Baby's age, amount of diaper changes daily, why you think she's not getting enough at the breast, weight gain, any info you can provide will be helpful.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:34 AM on Apr. 17, 2009