how can i get my 3 yr old to stop grinding his teeth and being so restless at night when he s sleeping this all kinda wakes him up?

infernosmom

Asked by infernosmom at 2:23 AM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Your child may have an issue with stress. I would perhaps choose more calming before bed activities and cut out TV after dinner. TV is stimulating and too much for some children too close to bedtime. Instead, how about some drawing, painting, play-doh...etc.? Then you could give him a warm bath, into PJs then a quiet story either read by you or on CD. A regular bedtime routine is good for everyone...even adults! I recommend Indigo Dreams for both books and audio CDs with relaxing stories for children to hear before bed. You can order a CD from Amazon.com, or download from iTunes. Something to think about. Good luck!

TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 10:50 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• as far as the teeth go, i'd consult your dr, i havent had this issue so i wouldnt be able to advise. as far as sleeping, are they still napping? if so i'd take those naps out, they'll be more tired at the end of the day.
    m4m4

Answer by m4m4 at 12:37 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• My 7 yr old is really high strung, and started grinding his teeth at about 2 or 3 yrs old. By the time he turned 6 he was having headaches almost every day. I took him to an orthodontist who specializes in the jaw and proper alignment of the teeth. He is now getting treatment to get his jaw lined up right to prevent the grinding. I only wish I had taken him in sooner!!!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:28 PM on Apr. 17, 2009