smoking around my KIDS!!

Ok im not bashing smokers because I AM a smoker but I always smoke outside but I have a friend and she smokes inside of her house around her kids "Blowning it out the window" I dont like this but I like having my friend. How can I ask her to not smoke in her house when Im not there w/o being too rude?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:36 AM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Health

• you just ask her not to smoke in the house with your daughter in the house. say it irritates her and makes her cough alot at night or something. i wouldn't be able to "not be rude" i would just tell my friend look i love you but i don't smoke in the house at all since i had her, and i would appreciate if when she is here you won't either. either way, the smoke still is in the house so its still getting into your daughter (and im not bashing smokers either i am one, but i don't smoke in my car her there or not or in my house) does she have a garage? maybe she you could suggest she smoke there?
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:40 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• You can't. It's not your place, but you might could tell her that smoking out the window is still exposing them to a lot of harmful chemicals. I know that when you smoke out of a window or open door, a lot of the smoke comes back in. Tell her to at least get a fan, sit extremely close to it, and let it suck the smoke out IF she refuses to stop. Because she might continue even if she tells you she understands or not. But try to get her to just step out the door.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:41 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I think the OP was talking about the friends kids, not her own.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:42 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Nevermind. I just re read the title.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:43 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Don't go to her house...simple as that. You can't ask her to not do something in her house she usually does. Invite her to yours...end of story
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:46 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• i was under the impression she was concerned about her friend doing this while her daughter is in the house...in which case yes it is her place, and if the friend is a good friend she should be willing to step outside while she is watching her friends children. if the op did not mean her kids, than all she can do is suggest not smoking in the house moving somewhere else, but she can still suggest it if they are good friends she shouldn't take offense
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:48 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Your question is how you can ask her not to smoke in HER house when YOU'RE not there, w/o being rude: You can't. That is rude. And even if you found a polite way to phrase it, you can't do that. That would be like me asking you not to eat a food that I can't stand, but you love. I admit that what she is doing is unhealthy for her kids, and if you want to try to show her that, that's one thing. But to ask her to not to do something in her own home is just wrong. If you really want to help her kids, and by extension, her, try looking up statistics on second hand smoke, and information on smoking inside vs. smoking outside and show it to her, maybe as a "hey, I got bored one day and look at what I found. Isn't that interesting?" kind of thing.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:31 AM on Apr. 17, 2009