Does your pre-teen and/or teen have a MySpace,Tagged or Facebook profile ?

I know alot of moms dont approve,but I was wondering how many moms let their kids have these profiles,and do you have their info (passwords) ?

4mom247

Asked by 4mom247 at 2:41 AM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I dont have a teenager, but I do have a myspace. I didn't have one until I was 20 though. I am now 23. If my son were a teenager, I would have his password, because there are some weirdos on there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:10 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I know a lot of moms don't approve and I agree w/ them because at one point in my life I would have acted the same. I don't now, maybe because I have 5 kids, which = experience. Experience that tells me that If I don't allow my kid to have or do something he will go do it behind my back where I cannot see them. So yes my pre teen has a myspace, however, my pre teen's life is not spent there. He is more an outdoorsy person and that is y he is allowed to have one. He is extremely balanced and spends fair, equal and proper amounts of time doing various and different things, so being worried about his internet, video time is not me. He likes all kinds of movies, horror, comedies, cartoons. I mean the vairety is such that it allows space for many new projects which we are constantly talking about. So I would say if your minor kid is spending lots of time away from you then u should beware and concerned. My preteen doesn't.
    milmiracle

Answer by milmiracle at 9:31 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• My 15 yo old has a myspace account. We have her password and have told her that everything on there is up for review. And we check it peredocially. I have gone on there and have asked her to take down certain information. We have also told her that if she violates are rules and trust it will be shut down.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:32 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Ive had a myspace since I was around 13, and I am now 17. There is nothing wrong with it at all. I was never a dimwhit though. I did not talk to people I didnt know, nor did I meet with them ever. I stuck with friends and family, and I still do. If I dont know you, like if I dont know you in person, you are not on my friends list. I use it as email, and to stay connected because everyone has one. Warn your kids about predators, and tell them that if they harass someone, and the cops find out, they will get charged for it.
    MammaBella

Answer by MammaBella at 10:06 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• my teen is 14 and we banned the myspace. I just felt there was too much for her to get into and she was spending too much time on it. She does have a facebook acct but so do her dad and I so we watch over her regularly. NOt obsessively but just periodically.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:39 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• My son is almost 13 and he has a MySpace, it is set to private, I have the password, check it regularly, no one is on it as friends that I don't approve of. I approve ALL messages, comments, friends, etc. My son is well aware that I will delete the account if he does not act appropriately. He also knows to tell me or my ex (dad figure not dad) when he recieves something inappropriate, which goes for anything online. He has had inappropriate things come across games that he plays on line, told me and we reported it. I trust my son to do what is right and in teh last 2 years he has proven he knows what to do.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:05 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Yes, my 14 yr old SD has Myspace. We have the password and the email address she has to use to sign in is ours. Her profile is private and you have to know her last name in order to add her as a friend. She knows if anything innapropriate happens we will delete it!

I am not that worried. Between having the password, checking her account once in a while, and our computer is in the living room so we can see what she is doing from the couch.
    Anonymous

• Ok the way I see it if I dont let my kid fix one up at home with me having the info,then she will do it at a friends house and then I may never know. So here is what I did !

My oldest DD is 13,I made hers.I made the password and she isnt allowed to change it,if she does it will be deleted.
    I also have everything set to private.
    She isnt allowed to accept friendships from anyone we dont know.
    I check her MySpace (as her) as much as I do my own.
    Alot of her friends have sent me invites.lol
    4mom247

Answer by 4mom247 at 5:03 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• ( I had to break up my answer into two ) LOL

If I see anything I do not like it is deleted (which hasnt really happened )
    I will browse her friends profiles,if I see things I dont approve of (like pics or anything x-rated) that friend is deleted and if its bad,I will contact their parents.
    Also my girls arent allowed on the computer anytime they want.They get a limited time and they have to earn the right to use the computer.Plus our computer is located in the middle of the house in plain veiw.
    Now Im not nieve,I know they get on at friends houses,thats why I check their stuff (as them) alot while they are gone.lol

Thats about it. I also have a 11 (almost 12 yr old) DD and the rules are the same. All three of us have the same password (so I dont forget it...lol)

4mom247

• i don't have a teenager but im 18 and i do have a myspace. i see no harm in it as long as they set their profile to private and don't add anyone they don't know. I really like having it. one of my best friends is in the air force and the other lives in new york and it is a great way to keep in touch with them.
    colesmommy12

Answer by colesmommy12 at 11:25 AM on Apr. 19, 2009