kids and families

if a kid has suffered at bparents hands why does the state still force visits? I want to know it happened to me!

KidsDesrveFamly

Asked by KidsDesrveFamly at 2:41 AM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Adoption

• Because ultimately reconciliation is the key to all foster cases. They want the birth families to complete their case plan and reunite with the children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:09 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I am sorry that this occurred to you. In some cases biological parents are barred from access and visits to the child who has been abused. If the abuser committed a sexual offense it is considered a safety risk and inhuman to subject a chid to have contact with their abuser. I am sorry that sometimes physical abuse is not considered at the same level. I wish that it was.
    Anonymous

• It's sad but it's part of the law. Most children in foster care have to have a minimum one hour visit every 7 days. Mostly because reunification is usually the goal. Even when the petition to terminate rights is filed, they still get visits right up until the very final papers are signed. In my adopted sisters case, this took 4 years. That's right the state of Michigan let reunification be the goal for 4 years but never even let the case get to unsupervised visits, this is obviously not always in the best interest of the children, hence why Children's Rights is suing different states to straighten this mess out. you can visit www.childrensrights.org for more information.
    Amy127

Answer by Amy127 at 5:41 PM on Apr. 20, 2009