I found a cutie pie

if you find a child you are wishing to be yours in a photolisting and shes legally free for adoption can you possibly base your homestudy on that child if so can I please have info I live in Ohio and so does the child!!! shes seven. thnx

KidsDesrveFamly

Asked by KidsDesrveFamly at 2:43 AM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Adoption

• Contact your SW to contact her case worker. A few years ago I found a 12 year old on line in North Carolina. I called the SW directly she said she was available and would check on her for me. When she told the Foster Family she thought she found a family they decided to adopt her. Apparently they had had her since she was one and never pursued to adopt as they thought they would lose income. My inquiry woke them up. So although I was a tad annoyed at them. They did love the girl and she apparently loved them.. the only family she had ever known. Please don't fall in love with a photo online... you could very well be setting yourself up for heartache. Don't get attached until after you do your research and know that she is going to be yours.  If you start to bond with pictures you will waste too much time attending pity parties and it will only delay finding your child.

Mommy2Tamara

Answer by Mommy2Tamara at 10:14 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Call and ask! the child would have a social worker assigned and she can tell you about what you need. You can have your homestudy done for a specific child, that is not uncommon. I saw your other post about waiting for a packet. The homestudy is not a quick process, just getting all of your FBI, criminal and child abuse clearances can take time, then you have to take classes, have interviews, etc etc. It is a lot of work but obviously worth it.

Good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:16 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I'm also in Ohio and if you found her on the Ohio adoption photolisting, that means she's legally free for adoption, BUT she may already have a family interested in adopting her. You need to have your case worker contact the child's caseworker and go from there.

It's a very time consuming process to get your home study, so there is a chance that unless it's done now, that particular child might not be available anymore.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:08 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I am also in Ohio. You need to have an agency that will truly advocate for you. Many of the younger children on Adopt Ohio have either been on there for a long time which means they are not available, have deadlines to submit your homestudy, and/or have sooo many homestudies sent in it, it is almost impossible.
    luckyshamrock

Answer by luckyshamrock at 8:52 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I'm kind of concerned about how you are going about this. You need to look into what is required of you to foster/adopt in your state before you "pick" a kid off the net that you think is "perfect" for your family solely based on a picture & short discription of them. So she's cute.She could also have problems you need to be able to handle if she comes into your home. It seems like you are getting all excited about this certain child yet you dont have a clue what you need to do to even get a child at all from foster care.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Apr. 17, 2009