Is it more difficult to breastfeed with saggy boobs?

I don't remember it being so hard to position my baby to feed with my first. This time around "the girls" are a little bigger and definitely saggier. It seems so much harder to get into a comfortable position for me and my baby. The nipple seems to fall out of his mouth more often and he seems to have trouble keeping latched on. I saw a lactation specialist a few weeks back and she said he is latching on fine and didn't see a problem there. So could it just be that since my breasts are saggy he has trouble holding onto them. I have gotten into the habit of propping it up with my hand when he feeds and that does seem to help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:21 AM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no, there is no difference, it may just be the baby getting used to eating from a boob. some take longer than others.
    my boobs are huge and i have to hold it with my hand sometimes as well.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:44 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Remember that every baby is different and they will all nurse differently. And, yes, you're body has changed and that can definitely affect it. Are you using a boppy or nursing pillow? That might really help. I am really big chested and when my son was little, I *had* to use the boppy to nurse *and* hold my breast with one hand to be comfortable. After a while, i didn't have to hold my hand there and eventually didn't need the boppy either.

Also, even though he had a good latch a few weeks ago doesn't mean you should stop watching it. Always make sure his lips are flanged and you point your nipple towards the roof of his mouth as he latches. Make sure he doesn't have just the tip but as much breast as he can in his mouth.

I hope this was helpful, and don't hesitate to call the LC if you need any more help :)
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 4:43 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Try a laying pose when feeding. My boobs were huge when I was nursing and a laying pose is pretty much the only way he could get a good meal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:48 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• It was difficult for me to get comfortable. I had to use the football hold and a pillow and hold my boob. other than that we had no problems at all.
    litlsuzzy

Answer by litlsuzzy at 7:10 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I think you're just forgetting how difficult it can be in the early stages of breastfeeding, because you're remembering how comfortable nursing was for most of your other child's breastfeeding days. I went through that, too. It should get easier as baby gets more coordinated and more deliberate in his movements, etc.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:52 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I still have to hold up my boob for my daughter because it's too big and heavy for her to hold up with her mouth.
    Anonymous

• I don't know but I do know with my boys I always had to, uh, give myself a hand :)
    Jo-Anna

Answer by Jo-Anna at 4:58 PM on Apr. 17, 2009