How can I avoid becoming a recluse??

My 4 month old does not sleep well unless he is home in his swing. It is driving me crazy! He used to do just fine sleeping in other places. Within the last 3 weeks I have noticed it getting worse and worse. He will fall asleep in his carseat but then wake up about 10 minutes later. He takes 3 or 4 naps a day. A really long one in the afternoon and if I am not home for those 3 hours he doesn't sleep well and is cranky the rest of the day. So I tried scheduling my day to be home at that time so he can sleep, but doing errands while he is awake is miserable. He screams the entire time in his carseat and is sensitive to loud noises or new places. So scheduling my day around his naps turns out bad and trying to get him to sleep in different places is turning out bad. I am getting to the point where I feel like I should just stay home all day until he is older.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:42 AM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do you own a sling? Look for a sling at Target or whatever and see if your baby will be content to sleep/play/etc in the sling. This will allow you to run errands around or to be hands free at home while keeping baby close, happy, and quiet :)
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 4:46 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Yeah, you've hit that point... I remember it well. At first, things seem pretty easy, you just tote your baby around for a few hours and he wakes up later, oblivious to the errand he has run, wondering what's for lunch. lol. When you get to this point, unfortunately, you do need to start respecting his naps, as it sounds like you're realizing. It's hard at first because there isn't much time in between, but they will soon be spaced out more and your LO will enjoy running errands soon as he gets more and more interested in the world around him. By 5 months my girls loved the Baby Bjorn when we went to Target or grocery shopping. It will get easier, but unfortunately you are going to have to plan your life in one hour blocks for awhile... What helped me was to find a friend in a similar situation... we were able to watch one another's babies for a quick, easy errand or get together and put the kids down in another room...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:49 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• It will get better - trust me!
    If he has good head control, you might try sitting him up in the shopping cart seat instead of keeing him in his carrier. My little girl started screaming while shopping about the same age - she was sick of looking at ceilings and lights. Once I tried sitting her in the seat, she stopped. Her little head just whipped back and forth as she tried to take in all the new sights, it was so funny to watch. Since she was so small, I sat her sideways in the seat... I kept the seat flap up to cover the big leg holes, put a blanket under her as a cushion, put a blanket behind her as a back cushion, and used a couple of towels to wedge her in more.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:42 AM on Apr. 17, 2009