my son is a 7 mth old (4mths corrected age) he was born at 27 gestation he drinks his milk little by little most of the time,i am intrducing solids as well. How can i give him more calories, i put rice cereal in his formula but that is not enough.

Mufin1013

Asked by Mufin1013 at 6:10 AM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would talk to your doctor they may change his formula to a higher calorie kind. also if he is having a hard time eating appropriate for his G.A. he may need a lower calorie formula so he can digest it properly. I know it sounds counterintuitive but that is what had to be done for my daughter when she had trouble eating.
    litlsuzzy

Answer by litlsuzzy at 7:15 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I may be mistaken, but it seems to me that rice cereal would make him feel full faster, so this may not be the best thing. At 4 months, especially such a little guy, it seems that the formula alone would be what he needs rather than less nutritious solids. Talk with the pediatrician. His tummy is very small, so he probably only wants a little at a time. So frequent feedings would seem a good idea.

Answer by Bmat at 7:24 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• If you want him to be taking in more calories, cereal is NOT the way to go. Ounce per ounce, formula (or breast milk) has MORE calories then cereal/solids. SO... if he's taking the solids, he's not getting enough formula.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:31 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Rice cereal is taking away from calories he could get. He needs to stick to formula since cereal and solids area taking away from what he would get with formula alone. They fill him up so he takes less formula which has a LOT more calories than babyfood. Oh, and stop giving him milk! Especially a preemie that early shouldn't be given milk so early, I wouldn't think. That's definitely taking away from his calories and nutrition!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:39 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Ask your doc. My dd was on enfacare which has extra calories per ounce. If it's medically necessary, then the doc can recommend something like this. If you're just concerned about the weight, but doc is OK with it, then I wouldn't worry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• hey i have had 3 preemies and the more food and formula you give him the more weight hell gain. instead of baby food from the store id puree the foods you make at home and that will increase calories. we see a nutrionist for 2 of my preemies. that is what we have to do right now fro my 1yr old who is 13lbs. the rice cereal also helps if he has reflux or gerd. also ask your dr about neocate its specially for preemies and it has alot of calories in it. another thing you can do is when you make his bottle add and extra scoop of formula to it. that increases the calories.
    heatherrpearce

Answer by heatherrpearce at 9:06 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I have 2 preemies born at 28 weeks and 29 weeks. Is your LO on Neosure (preemie formula)? My boys gained weight really well on the formula since it was high in calories. I didn't introduce baby food until they were 10 months old. If he's on formula and is eating well with the baby food, sounds like he's doing fine. You don't want to over feed your little one.
    azn_ladie82

Answer by azn_ladie82 at 9:44 AM on Apr. 17, 2009