Luke and Matthew - a discrepency . . . All faiths welcome to respectfully comment, as always:-)

I am an early bird this morning, since DH and I are going out of town for the weekend, I got up early to get some work done.

As I was reading my devotional this morning, I came across something I had never noticed before . . .

I've always known there were several discrepancies throughout the Gospels, after all they were written by four different men with very different vantage points.

However, I found one discrepancy today that made my jaw drop.

In Matthew 27, Matthew recounts to us that Judas Iscariot (the betrayer) hangs himself after returning the silver to the pharisees(Matt. 27:3-5). No other gospel talks about this (at least I didn't find it, if anyone else has, please let me know).

My reading this morning was in the book of Acts. And HERE, Luke recounts that Judas ACTUALLY bought a piece of land, and died of a freak accident. (Acts 1:18-19). This is a pretty big difference, don't you think?

Any t

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 6:14 AM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The bible is full of contradictions.  That alone is enough to discredit it.

Have a great weekend!  Don't do anything I wouldn't do (you're going to have a great time).

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:27 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• It's not really a contradiction. It's the same as two people giving an account of a new story today. They will each give their spin on it. Matthew was a tax collector. He paid attention to details. He went into detail on things like that. Luke was a physician. He was used to giving news in a way so not to freak a person out. Not that he lied, I by no means mean that, just that he had a different way of putting things. So, no, there isn't a contradiction,and the Bible is in no way discredited. In fact, it's the only truth this world truly has. Hope that helps you some. Have a great weekend. God bless you!
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 7:46 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Taken from commentary by Chuck Smith

"One of the gospels we are told that when Judas came back and tried to return the money, and they said, "Hey, it's your problem. We can't take it." And put it back in the temple treasury. "It's blood money." Then he threw it there on the floor of the temple and he went out and hung himself. Here Peter tells us that he fell headlong and just popped. And there are those who imagine a discrepancy. Very simple, he went up into the tree to hang himself, tied the rope around his neck and tied it to the limb and jumped. And the force of the fall either snapped the rope or his head, and he fell on down into the canyon and just as he said it here."

lynnsl

Answer by lynnsl at 8:27 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Answered at 6:27 AM on Apr. 17, 2009 by: beeky

Have a great weekend! Don't do anything I wouldn't do (you're going to have a great time).
    **

Thanks love! I know I will ;-).

And, yes, the bible IS full of contradictions. Especially in the old testament . . . (I was going to say you have NO idea, LOL, but I'd bet you have a pretty GOOD idea, actually) :-)
    That's why I rely on my relationship instead of my "religion" LOL.

jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 8:45 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Answered at 6:46 AM on Apr. 17, 2009 by: stvmen88
    It's not really a contradiction. It's the same as two people giving an account of a new story today. They will each give their spin on it. Matthew was a tax collector. He paid attention to details. He went into detail on things like that. Luke was a physician. He was used to giving news in a way so not to freak a person out. Not that he lied, I by no means mean that, just that he had a different way of putting things. So, no, there isn't a contradiction,and the Bible is in no way discredited. In fact, it's the only truth this world truly has. Hope that helps you some. Have a great weekend. God bless you!
    **

I understand what you're saying, and I appreciate your input. :-)
    Do you think that they both could just have been reporting "what they heard" rather than "what they knew"?
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 8:47 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• nswered at 6:46 AM on Apr. 17, 2009 by: stvmen88
    Have a great weekend. God bless you!
    **

Oh, and, thank you sweetie! :-) God bless you too!
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 8:48 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Answered at 7:27 AM on Apr. 17, 2009 by: lynnsl
    Taken from commentary by Chuck Smith

" . . Here Peter tells us that he fell headlong and just popped. And there are those who imagine a discrepancy. Very simple, he went up into the tree to hang himself, tied the rope around his neck and tied it to the limb and jumped. And the force of the fall either snapped the rope or his head, and he fell on down into the canyon and just as he said it here."
    **

This does make a lot of sense, but what about the differences in him throwing the money away vs. "buying a piece of land"?

Oh, and, he says "Peter tells us . . . "
    Now, I'm confused, b/c I though Luke wrote the Acts . . . ?
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 8:50 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• ok actually the pharisees bought the land and Judas was the first buried in it. It was the precursor to our modern day potter's fields where those who are unidentified or who could not afford a proper burial are placed. Rather then allow the money to remain in the temple after Judas threw it back at them the pharisees spent it on a field, hoping it would atone for their dastardly deed towards Jesus as well as Judas. There Judas money bought it, simply becaise it was money he ahd been paid for his betrayal and they refused to accept back...
    singedwingangel

Answer by singedwingangel at 9:49 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• All 4 gospels were actually written about 200 years after the events, and the writers probably heard the accounts differently since we all know that oral history doesn't always transmit exactly from generation to generation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I believe the Bible does NOT contradict itself. It is TRUTH. Four Gospels different men wrote what they saw. Judas did hang himself after he realized what he had done. He could have came back and REPENTED. Read St. John 13:21-31.
    meb3

Answer by meb3 at 10:56 AM on Apr. 17, 2009