Problem neighbors.

I should give a little background first. DH works with our landlord and they're fairly good friends. We've been living in a very nice duplex for over a year now and our neighbors moved in about 4 months after we did. At first there were no problems, it was just one guy and his wife and they were great, the guy works for our landlord and I don't know what his wife does but I know she works her butt off. From time to time they let relatives move in with them, which they aren't supposed to do, and the relatives harrass us and in general cause problems. Lately one of the older kids, I think he's around 16 or so, has been making a lot of noise, after the two who are supposed to be there told him to stop, and now some things that are work related for DH have gone missing, we proved that his missing phone was taken by this kid, but now we just found that his work ID and debit card are gone. Should I suspect this kid or let go of it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:16 AM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Relationships

• Since this kid is trying the intimidation stuff, I would defintely call the cops. Tell them about ALL the stolen porperty AND about what you have caught him doing. I don't care if he is legal or not, no 16 year old should be doing this crap. If he is doing this at 16, what will he do as an adult?
    I can see where the original tenants are coming from. They are just trying to help out their family. BUt seriously, their family is starting to get them in trouble. You said you were friends with them? Have you tried talking to them about possibly getting the "bad" relatives out of there so they can keep their home?
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 11:03 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• OP here, we're checking tomorrow to see if the card has been used, our bank is crap and we have to check with them directly and of course they shut everything down at 5 pm, so we can't check anything until 8 tomorrow morning.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:18 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I hope when you check to see if it's been used, you also plan to cancel it so it CAN'T be used. File a police report, and let them know that this kid has stolen expensive items from you before. They can follow up and check into it. Whether they'll actually find anything out is another story, depends on how good this kid is at covering his tracks. But if you've already proven he stole the phone, it sounds like he's not that good.

If the neighbors are doing stuff that is prohibited by their lease, have you mentioned this to the landlord? Is he doing or trying to do anything about it?
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:24 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• That kid is the first person I would be looking at. You already know that he is a thief. Report your stolen card and id immediately, and then if he tries to use it he can get in trouble for identity theft.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:25 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• OP again, yes the landlord knows, and has told the people who are actually ON the lease that if the extra "occupants" don't leave then they'll all have to go. He's been having trouble with the guy who's actually supposed to be there since the relatives moved in, his work has suffered because of these people. The debit card will be reported stolen as soon as we get in touch with the bank and any charges are going on the police report, and the kid isn't very good at covering his tracks, we found out that he had the phone when he called our house at 5 am two days after the phone went missing...we heard him through the wall. But because his citizenship status is "questionable" and he's a minor the landlord doesn't want to do much to him, although we WILL press charges if get proof that he did this. I almost feel bad for assuming that it's him, but I've had problems with him before and honestly, I'm afraid of him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:36 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• If his citizenship is not of the United States then he doesn't even need to be here. If he is committing these types of crimes at 16 then I can only imagine what types of crimes he will be committing in the next couple of years.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:42 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• OP again, That's what I worry about, I'm pregnant right now with a little girl and he's scared the hell out of me before by coming through my yard and "trying" the front door to see if it would open, DH was home at the time, thank god, but if he hadn't been I always wonder what this kid would have done, I mean I'm not that big and being pregnant I'm about as graceful as a retarded puppy. I've caught this kid stealing electricity from us before too, he kept hooking up a cord to our garage outlet and when I unplugged it he tried this "do it again and see what happens" bit. I feel like a prisoner with him over there, I have to stay inside and keep everything locked. I'm even afraid to open the windows sometimes because he tried to get his little brother to climb in through a window while I was in the room once!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:50 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• If you have a debit card with the same company, look on the back of it, and there's a number that you can report it missing/stolen. I freaked when an ATM machine wouldn't give mine back one day because I was afraid it'd spit it out later and called hoping they'd be able to help me since I didn't even know the card number but when they pulled up my card on there, they knew which other one was missing (I was right,t he machine spit the card out later and someone was nice enough to take it to my bank for me without using it first ). If you only have one card, I suggest writing that 800 number down for emergencies like this.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 7:11 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Why haven't you let the landlord know this chit going on? Then call the police
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:11 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Yeah I'd be calling the police and the bank and let them handle it.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:38 AM on Apr. 17, 2009