Would you allow a 16 year old to stay home for the weekend when you go out of town?

My SIL and her husband frequently spend weekends at their mountain cabin. They have a 16 year old daughter who usually stays home by herself when they go because she finds it boring to be in the mountains. This seems a little young to me, but my kids aren't teenagers yet, so I really don't know. What age is appropriate to start leaving teens home for the weekend?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:56 AM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Haha. Good idea, leave a sixteen year old girl home alone. haha. Not to mention all the things that could go very wrong if there were an intruder, but you know where her boyfriend is going to be.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:02 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I would probably allow for my daughter to. I was allowed to stay home at 16 if it was a weekend and another family member close by always knew about it.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 7:11 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• depends on how u raise ur child really. and how much u trust them. my niece is 16, she stays at home...but she has a cell phone, and alot of common sense...
    melissacoulter

Answer by melissacoulter at 7:36 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• It really depends on the kid.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:46 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Not in a million years! LOL
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 7:47 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• LOL, good luck with that one! I don't care how good you think your 16 year old is, she will do something. Been there done that!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:02 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• When I would go away, I would arrange for them to stay at grandma's or at a friends house all weekend. Obviously I arranged it with that parent.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:08 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I would never allow my kid to stay home aone at 16. Boy or girl! That's way too young. You never know what could happen. What if someone knew she was home alone and was watching her? It's pretty scary to think about what could happen.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 8:10 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Not all teenagers are irresponsible, there are some that are raised right, and respect their parents enough to be trusted. It depends on that mostly, if they can be trusted to be left.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:12 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I have a 16yr old and I would allow him to stay by himself for the weekend, but he is very mature for his age and I trust him completely.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:34 AM on Apr. 17, 2009