My 10 month old stopped sleeping through the night..

For the past 3 weeks my 10 month old son has about 4 days or more out of the week been waking up as early as 3:30am and later getting only 4 hours of sleep. He has been sleeping through the night since he was 2 months old and it's not from teething, he really just wants to crawl around and play. He gets 2 naps around an hour and a half - 2 hours per and usually his last nap he is awake at around 4 or 5 and doesn't go to bed till 10pm or later. How can I get him to stay asleep? Oh and I've already tried giving him a bath and solids right before bedtime.

andrearaeb

Asked by andrearaeb at 7:49 AM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Maybe he naps too much. My 8 month old only takes 2, 20 minute naps during the day and still doesn't sleep through the night; like last night she was awake from 1:45 to 3:45 wanting to play. But, 2 hour, hour & a half naps just sounds like a long time. Also, you could try an earlier bed time. I've read a lot that babies that go to bed early sleep longer. My daughter goes to bed at 7:30 every night and even though she wakes up to play and eat in the middle of the night, she usually sleeps until 7:30am.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 8:17 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I don't think that's too much napping. Totally normal for the age. I would try putting him down earlier. Between 7 and 8 is a good time for his age. It sounds counter-intuitive, but a lot of times sleep issues come from being overtired, rather than not tired enough. Also, if he's getting up to play, let him play in his crib, but don't get him up or turn on the lights or do anything with him. He'll likely get bored and remember it's sleep time.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:01 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• My tenth month old does the same thing. I talked to her doc and he said that it could be that she is getting ready to go through another growth spurt.
    theosgirl45

Answer by theosgirl45 at 11:29 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• you may have to cut the second nap from him. I had to do that for my DD, after a week I had her on a new schedule, that she took to really well. Before it was : wake up at 8 am, nap at noon for hour 1/2, nap at 5pm for hour 1/2, and bed by 10pm. Then she started one week by sleeping less and less during one of the 3 sleep times.. so
    After I cut out the evening nap..
    wake up at 8 am, nap at 1 or 2 pm for about 2- 2 1/2 hours, and then bed by 9-10pm.. working out a lot better for both of use :).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:45 AM on Apr. 17, 2009