For moms who choose NOT to vaccinate their children-- should we send our children to daycare/pre-school?

I have not vaccinated my 3 girls, ages 1, 2 and 3. I'm a stay at home mom and expecting baby #4 in September. I would like to send my two older girls to preschool in the fall 2 days a week for "socialization"; however I am worried that because they are NOT vaccinated they will "catch something" and bring it home to the new baby. I'm terrified to vaccinate them, as I suffered a grand mal seizure from vaccinations when I was 15 years old (and have had nervous system problems ever since-- migraines, etc..) and we have a huge family history of nervous system disorders (strokes, seizures, early onset stroke, autism, and aspergers on both sides, etc...) My 2 year old has PDD-NOS, so obviously I don't believe vaccinations caused this- it is definitely partially genetic; however, I do believe that had I vaccinated her she would most likely be much worse off.

nevaehjoy

Asked by nevaehjoy at 8:28 AM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Health

• alot of daycares and schools wont take them unless they are vaccinated
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:31 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Not only are you putting your children in danger but you are putting the other children at the daycare/preschool in danger of your children. Your children can come down with the measles, meningitis,(which is very deadly), and so on and so forth. You will have to suffer the consequences for that. and if i was a mother at the preschool i would ask the facility not to let your kids attend the school. and all of the history that is in your family you listed,,,,all sound as if they are caused by the brain. vaccines do not cause them. get your kids vaccinated. it's all part of protecting your kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:36 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• anyone can get meningitis.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:41 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• The grass isn't green on the other side...

I used to be a strong proponent on picking and choosing my future children’s vaccinations. With all the discussion on 1 in 150 children having autism, I have to admit that I’m a little freaked out. About a month ago, my feelings changed on this subject. “Time” Magazine had an article on this issue that delved into the hard evidence. The truth is there is no scientific evidence suggesting that shots cause autism. However, there is evidence that without immunizations children could die of very horrible diseases. People who have autism do not die because of it, but 1 in 10 people with Diphtheria will. Looking at those odds and also knowing that the “measles” of yesteryear have had decades to mutate into “Measles 2.0”, I’m not taking any chances
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• the consequences of not vaccinating our children are black and white: children died of diphtheria, tetanus and whooping cough. Children died and were maimed by polio. These diseases are not curable by antibiotics, and were our population not vaccinated the death rate from these diseases would rise dramatically.

A Waldorf school in my neighborhood recently had to be closed due to whooping cough outbreak. This is the unplanned but predictable result of following the anti-vaccination dogma of Rudolf Steiner, founder of the Waldorf schools. Most of the affected children were in kindergarten. I am glad my child has been vaccinated.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:44 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Do The Right Thing!

Immunizations were the single greatest medical breakthrough of the 20th century from a public health standpoint. Humans are living longer than the have since Bible times – we must be doing something right. When faced with an autistic child, I understand parents want answers, someone or something to blame. Instead they need to focus their energies on how to help their child with his or her difficulties. Autism is horrible, but the etiology is clearly not with immunizations and we all need to be looking elsewhere. One recent study showed that mothers of autistic children were more likely to have used pet shampoos before and during pregnancy – does this mean pet shampoo causes autism?? Maybe? Who knows???? The link was stronger than that of immunizations.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Choosing NOT to immunize your child puts not only your child at risk, but mine also. We cannot afford to stop our immunization program. As with anything there may be room for refinement and improvement. Certainly, the medical community should and will continue to research the efficacy and safety of immunizations. We have to make our decisions based on today’s available information. Today’s generation of young parents have no idea what they are declining. They don’t know of the devastation that polio created – just talk to some of the grandmothers. They haven’t even heard of Hib meningitis because it rarely occurs anymore. Parents in third world nations would give their own lives to have the luxury of immunizations for their children, yet a growing number of American parents decline them when they are free. We are spoiled.
    Anonymous

• I waited until my daugher was 4 to get her vaccinated. You don't have to give them ALL of the vaccines, maybe do a lil research & choose ones that are less harmful, like TB. There have been TB outbreakes here in GA becuase parents are not vaccinating.....not a good idea. You have to show vaccination forms to get your child in daycare's, unless you "know" someone. If people stopped vaccinating their kids all together, there would be a lot more sick kids. The only reason some parents can get away w/ NOT vaccinating, is because so many kds ARE vaccinated & wont carry the virus. In Japan the law says parents have to wait until at least 2 years old to begin vaccination, interestingly enough, SIDS rates dropped dramatically. But, studies also show that children who wait until they are older to vaccinate are MUCH less likely to have any kinds of side effects. Your case seems rare, & do you know wich vaccine caused it?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:48 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• My kids are all partially vaxed and I believe that much of their health issues stem from those vaccines. The so called evidence of vax's NOT causing autism are bold face LIES by the government and the CDC. It is FAR more lucrative for them to lie to us about it than to admit the truth.

You DO not have to have your kids vaxed to go to any federally funded daycare, preschool or school. They cannot refuse you. Your children will not "bring anything home to the new baby". Again, these are lies we are too willing to believe. As for the poster that said it will put her children in jeopardy, if her kids are vaxxed and she believes that "saves" them from these diseases, WTH is she so worried about??

Any further wondering about if you should vax or not, look at the Amish communities. They never vax and their autism rates are less than 1%! Hmmmmm....PM me for links of the truth and if you want to download the waiver for your state.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 8:56 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I am also not totally happy w/ vaccines after watching my nephew's leg become purple & he was immobile for a month (just after the poor fella learned to walk). He had a HORRIBLE reaction to one of the vaccines. But, you are putting your children at risk for being exposed to deadly virus's. Either way, there CAN be consequences. How would you feel if your child contracted one of these virus's, it would really make you feel guilty. I would say to go ahead & vaccinate your older children. It may be that you have certain genetics in your family, but what about dad? his genetics might throw that for a loop, so you never know.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:58 AM on Apr. 17, 2009