Do you shut your toddlers bedroom door at night.

I dont currently shut my childrens bedroom door, I found out that when my 3 year old went to a sleep over that he was LOCKED in the bedroom with two other kids until the parents woke up. They said it was to keep them safe and so they couldnt wonder and get into things they shouldnt. To me I think a baby gate or child proof locks are in order. Im not letting my child spend the night there again until they can prove he will not be locked in a room. What if a fire started where would those kids go. Ugh.

ChristianBabe87

Asked by ChristianBabe87 at 8:58 AM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• That's sick, and very dangerous. Sorry, but you are totally right, DON'T LOCK KIDS OF ANY AGE UP IN A ROOM!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I do not lock my kids door at night. That's cruel. I close the door but not so it clicks shut. What if they had to pee? What if they got sick? What if there was a fire? I also, would never let my 3 year old to a sleep over. IMO.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:10 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• It was family they slept over with not just a friend or something. Im glad Im not the only one who thinks that its wrong to lock the door.
    ChristianBabe87

Answer by ChristianBabe87 at 9:12 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• absolutely not. i remember gettin into this discussion withe someone on here a while back. and i would never do that. first i want my children to know they can come to me at any time day or night shutting the door would so they couldnt get out to come and get me would be soooo wrong. and what if somthing were to happen and i would never know.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 9:14 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I would never allow my child to spend the night their EVER again, that is totally insane. I do not ever shut my dd's door to her room. I close it halfway just so our lights don't shine completely in her bedroom and keep her up. But once she is fast asleep I go back into the room tuck her in completely again, and then keep the door wide open while leaving on a nite light in the hallway.
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 9:21 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I shut my daughter's bedroom door (she's almost 3) and it has a childproof thing on the inside so she can't open it. I've actually heard it's better to shut the door incase of fire to keep it from spreading into their sleeping area as fast. My boys sleep upstairs with the door open.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:31 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I shut the doors but not lock them
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 9:38 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Shutting a child's door is one thing..but locking it..omg..that is another..
    I shut Samuel's door, but I definitely don't lock it!! I'm not that far away from his room where I wouldn't be able to run to him though.
    SparklingHope

Answer by SparklingHope at 10:44 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I have always shut my kids bedroom doors, so that TV or me on the phone or doing dishes or whatever wouldn't disturb them. But we don't even have locks on the doors to lock them with. I'm always too afraid that they will lock themselves in the room and get hurt and I won't be able to get to them. Locking a child in a room is horrible.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:43 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Think it through...
    If you put up a baby gate or child proof locks to keep a child in his room at night, how is that different than locking the door in a fire? The child STILL can't get out.
    Most kids don't even wake up to fire alarms, they only wake when mom or dad comes to get them. So at least these parents will know where their child is.

I keep my daughter's door closed at night. It's safer in a fire and it keeps late evening noise out of her room.
    Do I lock her in? No. But I do have a sensor on her door and know if she leaves her room to go play in the middle of the night. If your son decides to make toast at 2am, will YOU know he's trying to burn the house down?

These parents are doing what they feel is best to keep THEIR kids safe. It's not what you would do. Fine. Don't let your son stay there. But they are not cruel. They are simply making a different decision to keep very young kids safe.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:49 AM on Apr. 17, 2009