• In the Spotlight:

Do your children play with mixed race dolls and figures?

This is not a question to offend anyone, of course I think it's totally okay, and I am just curious.

I am wondering whether the moms here who are white have bought their little girls black baby dolls, and visa versa - have black mothers bought their little girls white baby dolls (or their boys action figures, etc)
?

(again, not to offend anyone, I only ask because my own daughter has and a selection of dolls, of all different races.)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Apr. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• No they don't. They have their mixed cousins to play with.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• What race are Ninja Turtles?
    Anonymous

• Mine would, if I bought him dolls...his father would have a fit. He plays with varied race dolls at his grandmothers though.
    Anonymous

• yes I do. We don't teach color in this house.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:34 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Mine doesn't have any of other races but to be honest I have only bought her 1 doll ever. The rest came from relatives. It is something I have thought about though and whenever she gets in to regular dolls instead of baby doll I'll probably make it a point for her to have a rainbow of colors. Baby dolls just creep me out lol, so I don't go out of my way to buy them.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 9:36 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Yes.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:09 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I did when I was a kid. I was allowed to pick out my own dolls and such. I even have the black American Girl doll, Addy. My mom still talks about that to this day (she's kind of...old fashioned). "Caitlin didn't want any of the white dolls, the black one was her favorite." Okly dokly there, Mom.

My daughter will be allowed to play with whatever she wants to, as long as it's safe.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:12 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I am a mixed mother myself and I dont take offense to your question at all. I have boys so we dont do dolls...lol...

However, both my best friends have girls and they are all mixed children. Over the years I have seen them play with every color/ethnicity/gender available. Its much better now than it was when I was growing up.
    therealdiamond

Answer by therealdiamond at 10:21 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• My son has a few Dora and Deigo toys but most of his action figures are covered in colors that really don't show race such as, power rangers, nija turtles, green army men, etc.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:31 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• When my daughter was about 8 had a little black doll and people thought it was funny, we thought nothing of it. She loved her doll.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:35 AM on Apr. 17, 2009