Why is my son so bossy?

his sister has to do everything he saids or eles he gets angry and abusive towaards her.how can I stop this it very annoying any more.

incarnita

Asked by incarnita at 9:51 AM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Anger management counseling. Was or is he allowed to boss people around? Was he allowed to call the shots when he was younger? Make it well known that you will NOT tolerate violence and that YOU are the PARENT and will take care of him and his sister, that she does NOT have to do what he says. If he is getting violent he needs counseling now before it gets out of control.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:53 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Is he the oldest? It may be his oldest child syndrome kicking in if he is. If he is not the oldest maybe he is just trying to be a "man." Do you do everything around the house? He may have learned that women are supposed to do everything for the men.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• How old is he? If he is old enough to go to school, there might be a possibility that he is being bullied and feels the need to take it out at home. OR are you divorced? very personal question yes but there is a chance that whenever he's with the father he could see the example of being demanding...and well kids do what they observe. Which brings me to my last question. What is the example you put out there for your child to see? maybe an offensive question but its something to think about because we are our childrens role models no matter if we see at the moment or not, they want to be just like us.
    mizzlina

Answer by mizzlina at 7:50 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• My 6 year old boy does it to his soon to be 12 sister the same. Is that a boy's thing or what? I grew up with sisters so I have no idea. My son can be so sweet but he gets very upset if sister doesn't do his way. I have been trying to make him understand he can't treat ladies like that period by timing hin out, taking his DS away, and etc. He is getting better but I still see the frustration he has to deal with. I am not sure if this is a boy thing or his personality. did you have any luck so far?
    bindao63108

Answer by bindao63108 at 12:17 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• I would tell the daughter to stop obeying his orders. If he asks her nicely to do something and she is able to do it, then that's fine. Ordering is not to be obeyed. Then if he throws an angry fit, I would wear his butt out and tell him that kind of behavior will no longer be tolerated in this house. It seems to me that the real problem is that he does not understand that this is your home and that you are the one who is in authority and not him. So that's what he needs to learn. You can lay the groundwork by calling a family meeting and laying out the new rules and how they are to be enforced. There will be no further warnings. The first and every subsequent offence will be handled in the exact same way. Since I'm not sure how old he is, you may want to have him lie down across his bed when you warp his butt. Just make sure he feels it. Bare skin is better.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:08 PM on Apr. 18, 2009