Are you ok with giving our children these newer vaccines?

The meningitis one and the gardasil one? I think there may be another new one out too.

ReneeK3

Asked by ReneeK3 at 10:00 AM on Apr. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• I will absolutely NOT give my three daughters the HPV vaccine one!!! I'll wait until they test out the meningitis one on a whole bunch of other people's kids before I even think about that one. I also do not like the chicken pox vaccine. plus the Hepatitis B vaccine isn't needed until they are sexually active until then I don't plan to give it to my children.
    SandraRh

Answer by SandraRh at 10:24 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• My daughter will not get the gardasil one, but my son did get the meningitis one. Meningitis is scary and a very silent killer
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:02 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• They have a new one out for Hepatitis (A?) that I've been hesitant to give my son.. new vaccines scare me, because you always hear a year later that a higher percentage of kids are being infected with these things, or having reactions to the vaccines.. I'm afraid of having it given to him.. it's weird.. I didn't have any problems with the other vaccines, but this one makes me nervous. Anyone heard anything on it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I'm considering getting the HPV vaccine myself. My mom has HPV and she had a full hysterectomy because it caused a tumor to grow on her cervix. I'm terrified of it. I could have lost my mom. I don't want to put my daughter through that stress.

The chicken pox vaccine bothers me a bit though. Everyone I know had it as a kid and we turned out okay.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:09 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• nope gardisel wont be given to my daughter at all. I dont agree with any std vaccine.
    cudybug

Answer by cudybug at 11:03 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• My son got the Menegisits and my niece will get the Gardisal, her mom has cervical cancer and her oncologist, primary and pediatrician all recommended she get it to help prevent my niece from getting cervical cancer. You can get cervical cancer from other means than an STD. My son also had the HepB shot too. He had the chicken pox vacc and the booster. I never got chicken p ox until I was 23 yrs old and I was extremely sick. My aunt got them when she was pregnant and the baby could have had major complications, my cousin had them so bad as a preteen that he couldn't walk, talk or eat. He could be sterile too. My dad has MS and has never had them, if my son were exposed and gave them to my dad, my dad could die. My dads Neurologist and my sons pediatrcian all recommended the shot, to lessen the chances of my son being a carrier and passing the diease onto my dad. When a person decides to vacc or not, they have to think of

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:16 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• cont. of other innocent people, that could be affected if they contracted something that is innocent to most people but deadly to others.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:17 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Well, if you don't have sex, the guardasil wont' help you. Yes, I'm aware that you could be raped, but the odds of being raped plus the odds of him having hpv plus the odds that it is the strain of hpv that the vax protects against, plus the odds of you then getting it are pretty much next to zero. I'm tired of it being called the cervical cancer vaccine. I'm going to start calling the chicken pox vaccine the death vaccine, since death can come from chicken pox... same logic. Anyway, no, I try to wait a few years before deciding they are safe. I know people think they're tested, but there aren't any significant long term studies. They watch the girls for 3 months and that's it. Now, other strains of hpv are on the rise, too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• tyfry7496
    Why again will your niece get the Gardisal? So what if her mom had cervical cancer. her Oncologist is a loon! Gardisal does NOT prevent cervical cancer it prevents one or two types of HPVs (not all of them & you can cervical cancer from more than just the HPV). Sounds like the Oncologist was seeing dollar signs.
    SandraRh

Answer by SandraRh at 11:33 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Nope, no thank you to both of these.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:52 AM on Apr. 17, 2009