How do you politely tell someone they talk too much?

I love LOVE my son's nanny; and he loves going to see her too! She is wonderful, but she talks A LOT. I'm sure part of it is she is stuck at home with the kids all day, but sometimes she talks for so long, repeating herself over again, that it makes me LATE.

How do I politely end a conversation without it seeming like I'm rude and cutting her off?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you've tried other stuff, maybe you should just be honest with her? Maybe just tell her look, I realize you're not intending to, but you make me late a lot by talking to me. I get that you don't get a lot of adult conversation being stuck with kids all day, but I really can't stand here/sit here and talk to you like this everyday. Could we maybe talk on Friday evenings instead? (or whatever day/time would work for you that you could maybe give her a little time to chat with you.) Also, something I found I had to do with one sitter I had was to give my kids kisses/hugs, I love you's, see you tonight's, all that stuff at the car. Then, I'd walk up, knock on the door, and when she opened it, nudge the kids inside with a quick see you later and turn around and walk away so she can't catch you to talk. That only helps with the morning, but it'd be a start. (I forgot that I did this, otherwise I would have suggested it before.)
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:37 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Just say okay well I really need to get going, I am already running late. Or if you go in say I only have a few minutes to talk as I am running late. You can only stand around and talk for so long. So just excuse yourself and let her know your late as it is.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:07 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Cut the small talk and just say " can you shut the hell up, I late cuz of your F-ing big trap"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Do you mean babysitter that your son goes to? Nannys usually live with you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Don't be rude. Tell her that you can't stop to chat because you have a meeting at work or that if you're late, you'll be written up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Do you wear a watch? If you do, just glance at it and then say, "Oh, my gosh, I am so late! I have to go. I'm sorry, we'll catch up later, ok?" If you do that enough, eventually she should get the hint, or she'll stop talking to you b/c she thinks you're always running late. I had to do that with my sitter. It took about a week before she stopped.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:14 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• OP here:
    yes I guess I mean sitter, she calls herself "nanny" so I do too. And I try the I'm late thing... and she will be like "oh, ok! but hey have you heard about..." lol AGH!! Im trying to find a polite way to tell her what anon :09 said lmao
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• say you've got to go as you're getting things together, keep moving, dont stop for anything. keep keep going, say sorry i really do have to leave now....have a fun day, gotta run....and just keep walking.
    m4m4

Answer by m4m4 at 12:45 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• the only way to deal with it, is to politely excuse yourself, stating you have an appointment, or your running late for something. That's about it without really being rude.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:22 PM on Apr. 17, 2009