how do u control an unstoppable 3 yr. old?

i have a three yr old son that goes constantly and is kinda a bully to his one yr old sister i cant seem to get him to listen to me at all i dont know what to do ive tried everything....help

bjean_and_dray

Asked by bjean_and_dray at 4:02 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Duct tape and a wall...LOL NOO NOOO NOO ,,, I am just kidding..Please do not try this. A schedule of activities is very helpful. To keep them busy is to keep them out of trouble. Try games that involve sharing and taking turns to build teamwork. good luck...I feel your pain!
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 4:07 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Be consistent with discipline and be clear about your expectations of him.
    cole08

Answer by cole08 at 4:24 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Definitely keep him busy. My 4 year old niece is the same way and we just have to have something at ALL times for her to do. Playing outside is the BEST!!! If that is not possible, little crafts that are fun but not too hard for you to do with your 1 year old to take care of also....good luck!
    KCMom1

Answer by KCMom1 at 7:21 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Is he being intentionally mean to his sister? That is a different issue than if he is just always on the go and doesn't know his own strength. If he is intentionally bullying her you should give him as much attention as possible. (I have four sons, so I know how hard it is to split your attention. I am not suggesting you do the impossible. LOL) I agree with the above respondents who suggested that you keep him busy, butit is important to find out what really engages him and encourage that activity (as opposed to just trying to keep him occupied). Also try to incorporate him into your activities with his sister. He can "help" you change a diaper by bringing you the diaper bag or the changing pad. "Help" you feed her by choosing the spoon. Play with her by rolling the ball or shaking the rattle. Instill in him a sense of pride about being a big brother, and his animosity will diminish until he is more interested in protecting her than bullying her.
    Good Luck!
    DivaMomCC

Answer by DivaMomCC at 10:08 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I don't know. If you figure it out, tell me. My little boy is buck wild too. All the other mom say it comes w/the territory.
    bgbcmommy

Answer by bgbcmommy at 10:47 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• What's working now is a calm approach. I know you wanna pull out your hair. I think I may have a bald spot somewhere. But  when I get so frustrated after trying everything else, I have to really breathe it out and make him focus on my face when he's acting up- He starts running after I yell out his name and we've been working on that too- but he stands there now and I hold his face to look at me and calmly tell him 'that was a no-no, You do not do that.' swat him once or smack his hand, depending on what he did and tell him he has a time out in his room .But it's work in progress and the best thing for me now. If he's acting out because he's bored-usually is the case, I kick him and his sibs outside and let them burn off energy. He loves to be my helper. Let your son help with sweeping, my son loves to hold the dust pan, and he helps me pick up toys in the living room and hang up clothes, he enjoys handing the socks to me. Good luck!
    JafraMom

Answer by JafraMom at 3:06 AM on Jun. 21, 2008