How can I get my 2 year old to be nice to her little brother (Just turned 1)

My daughter is a step child and she was abused her first 7mths of life, so she has some agression issues sometimes, We catch her scrating, biting, hitting etc her little brother who is much smaller. We are currently doing time outs (1 min) in the playpen which is only used for the timeouts and it has helped a bit..but she still beats him up. Any ideas?

ForestGrove_Mom

Asked by ForestGrove_Mom at 10:44 AM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• sorry mama I only have one child so far and he's one. but if I was in your shoes, what your doing sounds good. time outs. she might be too young to understand reasoning, but have you tried going down to her level asking "how do you think your brother feels when you hit him?" and if she doesnt understand, or answer back, say "it makes him feel sad. your brother wants to be happy! give him a hug! see how mama gives him a hug?" lol I dont know. easier said than done
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:52 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Try rewarding the behaivor you want (if she nicely hands him a toy, ect...) priase her and tell her how wonderful it is to play with her brother. But contiune to discipline the bad behaivor. It will take time and ALOT of patince, but it will be worth it.
    Tarabella

Answer by Tarabella at 12:37 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• showing her how to behave is the only way to change this behavior. EX. when you see her acting out, pull her away from the situation, and tell her why she can't hit. Instead show her how to help her sibling rather than abuse, and when she does help out, give her a reward for it.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:24 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Timeouts for poor behavior and rewarding good behavior sound like good ideas to me. You might also watch to see if there's a pattern to her poor behavior. You might be able to either anticipate or avoid the situations where possible.
    Anonymous