hypothyroidism and weight loss

I have Hashimoto's ( a form of hypothyroidism ) and have a very difficult time loseing weight. I have done Nutiri-System ( absolutely hated the food ), lived on nothing but Slimfast and exercised 3x weekly in the past. But since May 2008, I admit I have given up; we lost everything in the tornado, so we lived in hotels and lived on fast food for the summer while things were sorted out with insurance and getting new house set up.
The only things that worked in the past were going to the local YMCA and working out in the pool 5x a week ( this was pre-baby with #1) and then after baby #3 I did the Billy Blanks bootcamp, not sure if I lost weight, but lost some jiggle. Obviously, the YMCA is too expensive and then I would have to find someone to watch boys etc.
Does anyone else have Hashimoto's and how do you lose weight? We just ordered the Total Core from an infomercial and have yet to get it- maybe that will help.

izyandchrismomi

Asked by izyandchrismomi at 10:50 AM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Health

• Weight Watchers works. Foods are based on points. You are allowed to eat foods that you enjoy - you don't deprive yourself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I have the same problem. I was always thin until I had my son in my family after the birth of the first child we tend to have thyroid problems. I actually lost all my weight but when he was 6 months old I started gaining I went from 125lbs to 170 in 4 months. I was checked and it was found I had Hashimoto's which is the most common of thyroid issues. I am on meds. I did lose all my weight it took a year but I am back to 125lbs. I had to completely change my diet. I also started working out. I change my workout videos monthly to keep from getting bored. I run daily and that burns a ton of calories.

I eat lean meats, tons of vegetables and limit my carbs to only good carbs. I do not eat any fast food or processed foods. They tend to stick to me much longer than from scratch meals. If we eat at a restaurant I order baked chicken and veggies or a lean grilled steak with veggies. You can lose it.
    Anonymous

• Because you have Hashimoto's disease it's no excuse for weight now if you are taking medication for it and it balances you thryoid hormone.  It's really the lifestyle activity and foods you eat you should focus. 

Anonymous

• Obviously, anon @ :14, you do not suffer a thyroid disorder so you do not know what it is like to take the pill as directed, eat right, work out, and have nothing to show for it as far as weight loss goes. I hope you never get a thyroid disorder. Diet and exercise do not work. I am not the OP, but I think you should research thyroid disorders, look at forums and see how many people had the weight slide off as soon as their meds reached a therapeutic level. I say this because I do have a thyroid disorder as well. I gained 60 pounds after my 2nd child was born and I have yet to lose it. I work out, take my meds, eat right and cannot lose weight. It sucks!!
    Anonymous

• I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's when I was 7yo, after I was taken from abusive environment. I was really short for my age, but not skinny which is odd since I was not allowed to eat regularly. I take my medication religiously. Thank you to above poster An 2:24 for coming to our defense.
    izyandchrismomi

Answer by izyandchrismomi at 5:06 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Hello, yes you can lose the weight without pills, diet or surgery. I have a treatment garment that burns fat..also you need to do a natural body cleanse, many times we just need to clean our colon. email me if you want to know. Be Blessed
    cbarconia

Answer by cbarconia at 12:19 AM on Apr. 18, 2009