Do you feel that the lack to pay high adoptions make you not financially stable to adopt?

I don't think so, but it seems that agencies and some expectant mothers do.
I have noticed alot of post about this and the fees today are the cost to buy 2009 car!!! This money could be used to raise the baby, pay on college!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Adoption

• No, I don't. If I can't afford to pay for an adoption then I cannot afford to expand our family at this time. I also don't have to choose an option that is so expensive. I did a private domestic adoption and the next time around I may choose to go through social services. So I will pay less than two thousand dollars, before the adoption is finalized our child will have some financial assistance through our state, and we will get that money back in the form of a tax credit. Not expensive at all. If by high cost of adoption you mean private adoptions either internationally or domestic, then I would say that the limitation is more about the perspective parent's limitation on not considering going through the state. And that is their choice. But then they cannot say there is not a reasonably financial way to adopt a child - there is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I didnt pick a "rich" family to raise my child. In fact, I passed over some profiles of doctors & lawyers & picked working class people. I felt they might be more inclined to identify with me since my family is not a bunch of professional types. I wanted someone who was financially able of course, but I wasnt looking for someone who was living in a mansion with a BMW either! The people that profit from the high fees are the agencies. They dont have the best interest of anyone in mind as far as I see it. The bottom line is the almighty dollar just like in any other business. That is what infant adoption is, it's a business. Sad but true. There needs to be refrom in the way its handled & that includes the amount of money that changes hands.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 11:12 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I don't think that having trouble coming up with a large lump sum of cash means you are not financially able to adopt. Most people would have trouble coming up with thousands of dollars at once. As one poster pointed out, there are less expensive ways to adopt. Many families do adopt through social services and pay next to nothing. Also, it is possible to find agencies that don't charge exorbitant fees. With our first adoption, the agency charged $5,000 (this was in 2004). The second time, the agency (different office) charged $10,000. This is much lower than most agencies charge. You can ask them for a breakdown of where the money goes. If you want more info about the agency we used, you can PM me. Good luck!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:20 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Just wanted to add, I suspect (dont know this of course) that my child's family probably saved for many years to adopt. Although there are ways to adopt without the large fees (foster adoption), if someone is going to adopt through an agency/lawyer situation I think they should show an ability to save the money themselves rather then go into debt over it. Its like when you buy a house, you have to show that you saved or were gifted the money for the downpayment. You can't just go borrow it. Not that a baby is like a house per say, of course, but the idea is the same I think. I'm not "allowed" to buy a house I can't afford. So if I still want a house, I find a way to get a house I can afford & most likely it wont be "new" but hey its a house! I dont need a new house as long as its a house. I would love my house just because its a house. Not just because its new.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 11:22 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Wow, this is a great question. We having to wanting to adopt for several years, and agree the fees are extremely high. We can't afford them either but we are a great family and can afford a child in our home. Alot of great families simply don't have $25,000 out right to pay for paperwork.
    dngoodwin73

Answer by dngoodwin73 at 11:30 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Simplicity, and facts......if it did not cost to adopt a child...adoption from attornies/facilitators,and agencies, would not exist, because adoption boils down to $$$$$. One person, wishes nothing more than to be a parent, another wishes nothing more than to provide just that...for a fee. Simplicity..it is at best a baby selling market! There is no one whom can guarantee, their financial stability in the future, and if they can...they would not be concerned with the cost of adoption! Blessings..C.J.
    ceejay1

Answer by ceejay1 at 11:48 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I can tell you that we adopted internationally. Is it pricey? Yep... did we take out loans, have fundraisers, ask for donations from family or friends? Nope.. I worked 2 jobs so that I would spending money to shop with and the other money was saved from dh's salary into our main savings account. When we began the process we had over $45K in our savings account. Our adoption was approximately $26K. However, with dh's adoption benefits from his employer, my benefits and the adoption tax credit we only ended up paying $4840 total for the whole process. That includes all the paperwork-domestic and international, visas, travel for 3 weeks, and renewals for documents that expired during the wait.
    I can also tell you that the US govt got more of our money than our dd's country did.. the US govt ended up with about $16K in fees and the rest was travel and country fees while there.
    Foster care adoption costs next to nothing...
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 4:07 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• We adopted domestically and our story is the opposite of the last post. It was much more expensive than we planned. The bmom who originally didnt want any money asked for the max right before the baby was born, the bdad got into a fight with the bmom and refused to share her attny. I paid for the bmoms attny, the bdads attny, my local attny and my non-local attny. 4 attnys was not in the original budget and the fees were insane.. In some cases, it is a question of how much do you want this. Instead of buying that new $28,000 mini-van, we financed our adoption. No legal process is ever cheap.
    Anonymous

• I think the price of adoption is a ridiculous amount to pull together and a detriment to a newly created family to have to pay off if it is borrowed. My children were 3 days old when I met them ad they came to live with me, and we adopted them for free from the foster care system, so I don't understand what needs to cost nearly 30k in a private adoption.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 5:45 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Cost is the reason we decided to look more into adopting through the foster care program and I know that was the path God was leading us too. We found our daughter through the system and I can't imagine life without her. The price of private domestic and international adoption is truly scary! Our adoption cost us less than $20 and that was just for the birth certificate. Attorney's fees, court costs, etc. were all covered by the state.
    Anonymous