Birth Certificate

Can I put the name of my baby's father without him having to be there or sign for it?

youngmom3525

Asked by youngmom3525 at 10:55 AM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It depends on where you live. I live in Louisiana and the father has to sign the birth certificate to be named on it. My cousin had a baby in Texas and she was allowed to put her baby's father's name on the birth certificate without him there.

tayanddyl

Answer by tayanddyl at 10:59 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• are you married?
    if not then befor ehe can be on the brth certificate he also has to fill out a paternity paper. yes he has to sign that. but if yall are married i think you can go ahead and do it , your the one that signs it not him
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 11:00 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• When my son was born we both had to sign the birth certificate.. and he was born in Texas!
    CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 11:04 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• if you are married then you can put him on it, in texas anyways. if not then he does have to fill out an AOP in order to be on the birth certificate. if the guy doesnt want to be apart of it, then you can take him to court in order for him to acknowledge, and they can do a paternity test to confirm. in texas anyways. if he doesnt, dont forget you can still take him to court for it. if you want it on there. it does depend on where you live though
    trelyn

Answer by trelyn at 11:07 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I live in Miami, Fl btw.
    youngmom3525

Answer by youngmom3525 at 11:19 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• tayanddyl, I think it also has to do with Parishes/Counties. I, too, live in Louisiana and my husband did not have to sign anything for him to be named on the birth certificate. I live in NOLA.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 12:24 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I might also add that only one of my clients ever had to have her husband sign for the birth certificate that I can remember.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 12:28 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I also live in NOLA but was not married at the time of DD's birth. So I guess that also plays a part in it. My answer should have started with, it depends on if you are married or not ....

tayanddyl

Answer by tayanddyl at 1:15 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Very true! Now that I think about it, the gal that had her man sign wasn't married. (I mean, I said husband but they weren't married at the time.)
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 2:06 PM on Apr. 17, 2009