VCUG a "necessary" procedure after only the FIRST bladder infection?

My two year old daughter had a bladder infection a couple weeks ago, Had her re-check yesterday, with a new Pedi Dr. (Due to insurance coverage, we had to switch Physicians/Clinics) so this was the first time I've seen this Doctor. Even though my daughters urine test came back clean yesterday, the doctor reccomends her to have the VCUG procedure. It is an imaging X-Ray, and ultrasound of her bladder, kidneys & urinary tract, done at this age under complete sedation, due to the catheter and contrast liquid that is inserted into the bladder. Do I put my daughter under for this test? I don't know who to ask, even my previous doctor was only with us for a year. I mean this was only her FIRST infection. I expressed my concerns and asked if we should wait and see if she should get more infections, then maybe it would seem more likely to do the procedure? Not only am I nervouse about the sedation, but come on-day surgery is $$$

frasermom23

Asked by frasermom23 at 10:57 AM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Well, thank you all for your advice. I've decided to not subject our daughter to this test/procedure. Doctor is not all that thrilled, and said now that for every doctor visit she is going to request a urine culture ... she said because my daughter could be having an infection, but with no outward sign/symptoms. I guess that is better than putting her under for a procedure I don't feel comfortable about...
    frasermom23

Answer by frasermom23 at 4:37 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• After just one UTI, then no I personally wouldn't go through with the VCUG. I've had it done before, not sedated, and it's uncomfortable to say the least. I also would have doubts about putting my 2 year old under sedation. My suggestion would be to see a Pediatric Urologist for a second opinion. And even then, it's really up to you how to proceed. But in my opinion, I would wait and see if she develops any more infections. I was a pediatric nurse for many years, and it wasn't very often that a VCUG was scheduled after just one UTI. Good luck.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 11:10 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• My g-daughter had 2 bad UTIs last yr. She takes no bubble bath. She was 5. The Dr said if she gets another one in the next 6 months we will need to do the VCUG to make sure she doesn't have urine backwashing into the kidneys etc. So to answer you. I think unless there is something you have left out..I would not allow it after one single infection. If she's potty training teach from the first front to back wiping. If still in diapers make sure everyone who wipes her only goes front to back and is careful not to cross contaminate from her bottom to her urethra.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:25 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• After only 1 infection, I would do the procedure. If she continues to get bladder infections, then I would do the procedure. I would wait. You are the parent and it is your decision.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:14 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• THis is where your mommy instinct is kicking in. There are some super docs out there but a lot of them are very greedy. Ive seen it happen numerous times. A doc can recommend any procedure he wants, but its ultimately your choice to go through with it. Being that hes only seen her once and has limited history, I might question this diagnosis. You can either get one more opinion, or let him know your going to wait this out and see how it goes. One bladder infection doesnt seem to be cause to do such an invasive procedure. It might just be because of her age, but still, procedures like that cost money. If not to you, then to someone else. I have turned down a upper endoscopy and an brain MRI. I knew there was nothing wrong with my stomach. I just knew I had an H pylori bacteria that needed to be cleared. Then when I was sent to the neurologist, I knew my headaches were coming from my neck. Its okay to say you want another doc.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 4:21 PM on Apr. 17, 2009