Is it all or nothing, or somewhere in between?

I notice that a lot of people post on here with the assumption that things are either / or, black or white, liberal or conservative, democrat or republican. Do you feel when it comes to politics that people (voters) gravitate more towards the aformentioned, or do you think most people think in the gray area? And if it's the latter, then why do you think there are so many party line accusations?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think the reality is most people are in the middle, but that's not newsworthy. So all we ever get to hear about is the extreme anything. I consider myself to be republican, but what I would really like to see is a "Common Sense" party. People using their God-given common sense to solve problems. Stop pandering to ALL groups, left and right, stop using emotional blackmail on tough moral issues, come together for the good of the whole country, and solve problems. I'm tired of politicians whose sole goal in life was to BE a politician. Our country was not founded by politicians. It was founded by men who cared for the greater good of the whole, they made sacrifices to devote part of their life to government and didn't expect anything in return. Now people spend their whole lives in politics and we have to foot the bill for their salary and lifelong pensions.
    22hockeymom22

Answer by 22hockeymom22 at 1:23 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Im one of those who dont believe everything is black and white when it comes to politics. Its more rare than common where I see people who affiliate with a certain party that NEVER ONCE will agree with an issue if its not their parties "view"..I believe there are accusations being that maybe the majority of the party may think that way, or because politicians of these parties have these views, therefore people assume that everyone of that party does as well. I consider myself Republican, but im not religious or rich; ive seen on more than one occasion that people think republicans are highly religious with lots of morals and are more wealthy because of their stance on higher taxes for the rich and their views on abortion and such..

BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 11:09 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• ON CM I think it's a majority of all or nothing.. In real life,I'm not too sure. I don't see anything in black and white and I have a hard time understanding people who do. I'll never understand folks who are far left or far right..right in the middle seems to be a good place.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 11:09 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I don't like being mediocre, I'm a Republican simple as that.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 11:11 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I guess i'm a right wing extremist and terrorist according to Napalitano lol.If the CIA wants to park outside my house they can have at it my actions of housework,caring for my family,and typing on this keyboard ought to bore them to tears.Meh I'm a Conservative.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:17 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I don't affiliate completely with either party because some of my positions are on the far, far right (right to bear arms) some on the far, far left, (total freedom of choice) and most in the middle position of gray area where I think people ought to be allowed to make up their own minds and do what they want as long as it's not hurting someone else.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I am fiscally conservative. I post, question, and challenge things that I do not feel are fiscally conservative and encourage debate. Currently (since before the 2004 elections) I am a registered Independent, who may even be leaning toward libertarian (currently researching and gaining perspective of the party). I have not yet felt that the Republican Party has earned my "membership" wholeheartedly.  People assume me to be Republican and "go off" on that. Which is fine.  When you post online that stuff happens. When you are sitting across from someone in Starbucks enjoying intellectual debate, it's another story. :o)

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:37 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Yes, the people that already know I'm a democrat on here assume they know how I feel about EVERY topic and every politician...when in fact they don't.

Like my dirty little secret. I have an old guy crush on a VERY conservative republican that was running for president in the last election ...and it was NOT McCain....
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:26 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Everyone's hot for Romney. Give me that Senator from Nevada, I'd do him anyday.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 12:28 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

•  HOT DAMN

akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 12:30 PM on Apr. 17, 2009