Carseats... seeking experienced knowledge

I have seen an over abundance of questions regarding car seats. I also noticed that many of the questions are the same, just with some words here and there changed. I started to think whoa there a lot of these questions that is on the subject of just carseats. Then it got me thinking. I felt my heart getting convicted, and I was lost!!!

Now I need your help.

So now I wish to pose a question about car seats, from a slighty different point of view, so I can get the opinion from all of you, and help me on my quest to seeking the knowledge, enlightenment, guidance, and expertise of the subject of.... carseats.

See, my young one has never ever rode in a car seat. Ever. Now I feel the obligation to do it. But How??? Which way should my young dog sit in the car seat??? When will she be big enough to not need one?? Should I sit her next to the door?? Should I get a fancy one with a cup holder??

I am lost and need help!!!

mayomom4

Asked by mayomom4 at 11:11 AM on Apr. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• How old is your child? Is it not illegal in whichever state you are in for your child not to be in one? In Maine it is law that all children under 40'' be in a carseat/booster(I believe, the limit may be a little less..but I know that's the recommendation..)

Carseats should be placed in the center of the rear seat. For children in infant carriers the carseat should be rear-facing.

Hospitals in Maine won't let you take your child home without a car-seat and installation lesson.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 11:14 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I used a graco infant carseat for my son. Personally if I had known all the different carseats we had to buy I probably would've gotten one that goes through the different stages rather than buying different stages (but I got most of mine at yardsales fairly cheap) If you do buy second-hand, make sure you get a manual with it, and a history check (ask the previous owner if they were ever in a carseat, how serious it was, etc. ) And all the parts and pieces.

Make sure you follow directions for installation if your child does need to be in a carseat.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 11:17 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• ROFLMAO>>>>good one. Had me till the end.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:18 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• ask the previous owner if they were ever in a car-accident..not carseat..)
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 11:18 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Hehe. you know, they make car seats and harnesses for your baby. My austrailian shephard had a harness that strapped to the seat belt. I traveled the interestate alot and felt it was important for her to have it. :) And when we are in the car w/o dd, my 3 year old will sit in her car seat like he owns it, but never stapped in, of course.
    Anonymous

• ... FYI: He's a lab
    Anonymous

• Okay< I thought you were totally joking at first. For the dogs inside they make a great "universal harness'. Ours only ride in the bed of the truck. We have a safety tehter at the front of the bed. They can lay down but cannot get near the side rails. We just clip them in. They are both Labs.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:22 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• LOL!!!

And it's funny that obviously not everyone actually read through your post!!!
    Anonymous