when do you know your child has an allergy or just too many colds???

I try to figure it out, but my doctor says to give him for a month allergy medicine (for adults) once a day, to see if is allergy, I don't want to give him the dose he is only 3 years old!

sami7jami8

Asked by sami7jami8 at 11:41 AM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Health

• If your son acts like he has a constant cold//never ending cold..It is allergies..A good doctor would not tell you to give you child to much medicine. Talk to your doctor more about this.

Answer by louise2 at 11:45 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• if i give my 3 year old son any allergy medicine it is childrens claritin that was suggested by my doctor eventhough it says do not use under the age of 4. he told me to give him 1 tsp. but i dropped it in half and gave him 1/2 tsp. but you can take your kids to a pedi. and give him an allergy test.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:46 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• They make children's claritin. I would give him that. I gave my sons that. They both have allergies. You can usually tell allergies b/c it seems like they have a cold, but it never goes away. It might get worse when they play outside, if it's an allergy to something outside, like pollen. So, depending on where you live, it might get better during the winter, if you get a lot of snow or whatever. We live in FL, so it's yr round for us. Definitely don't give him the adult med though.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:53 AM on Apr. 17, 2009

• OMIGOSH! THANK YALL SO MUCH!! My son seems like he keeps getting a cold every other week and the doctor gives him amoxicillin. Everytime I look his nose is always runny. Im thinking it could be allergies!
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 12:00 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• A cold lasts about a week or so, allergies are all the time. A cold doesn't need antibiotics. My son is 13 and has NEVER been given antibiotics for a cold. Give your child a dose of CHILDREN's allergy meds and if the symptoms go away, he has allergies. You can also take him to an allergist or ENT to find out too. The doctor sounds a little goofy.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:34 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Thanks a mil tyfry...ima do that 2
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 1:17 PM on Apr. 17, 2009