Help! My son gets mysterious bruises and I'm getting the blame.

For the past month or so My son James has been getting little scratches and bruises on his face, head, and entire neck. It started out very little bruises under his eyes, like blood stops from rubbing his eyes too hard. It Smashed the gas into full out looked like he beat himself up! I figured out it was a doll he had. Woody™ from toystory with hard boots, hand, and face. Serious bruises on his face and lots of pressure scratches all over. I took him to the ER and They called children services. I've taken him to his doctor, I'm looking for a new one, I volenteered for a lie detector test, I've had people staying with me for CS, I've even had a home evaluation done of my son and scheduled to take him to a special school to have him further evaluated. HE's still getting bruises, he's biting his tounge til it bleeds, has has nose bleeds from screaming, i'm just lost. What can I do now?

SivDre

Asked by SivDre at 12:22 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Honestly, it sounds like your child needs to be evaluation for serious conditions including those that involve mental illness
    Anonymous

• Dont stop until you get an answer. Take him to as many doctors until they can help you. He may have a blood disorder or not to scare you worse.

Just dont give up until you find out what is wrong.
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 12:26 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• My friend's son had a similar virus which showed itself through the bruising and blood dots. You need the pediatrician to keep working him up and do a blood work panel. It sounds exactly the same and can be serious please ask for a second opinion...beg, scream, whatever. You need a second opinion and don't just go to the ER go to the nearest Children's Hospital or a place that specializes in pediatrics. BTW, whenever you go to the ER they think you've hit your kid, etc. Happened to three people I know and myself.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 3:10 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• This child needs a diagnosis and by them investigating YOU , they are taking away the attention from the fact that he has maybe a serious medical condition. I would take him in to his normal pediatrician, tell them that you are tired of being accused of these injuries and you feel that there is really something wrong with him and ask him to run tests until they find out what it is. By spending all their time looking for fault with you, it could be valuable time they need to treat him. It could be something very treatable. Also if you were really abusing him, then do they think you would bring him in for treatment and bring attention to yourself?? How dumb would that be? I know its stressing you, but hold firm and defend yourself. Do not let them intimidate you by scaring you. They will do their best into intimidating you and making you feel stupid. You are the mom. Its time for your child to get the help he needs.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 4:25 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I am sorry for you that it has gone this far. I hope everything works itself out. Keep looking for the answer. Take him to a children's hospital. Don't let them defeat you. Take the lie detector and prove your innocence.
    LuvOurFamily

Answer by LuvOurFamily at 9:13 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• If the marks appear day or night. It sounds like he has a disorder causing him to inflict pain on himself I can't remember the name off hand. Don't worry it can be treated take him to a child developemental pshych. quickly it can get worse. If he wakes up with them and it only happens during sleep it is most likely night terrors which can also be serious my eldest gets them. If that is the case PM me I can help you more.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 10:36 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I think he needs to have blood work done to see what is going on. Something is causing very easy bleeding... he may have a bleeding disorder or possibly even cancer (I hope not!)
    As far as child protection- just stick to your story and remember they are trying to keep your child safe... it probably looks odd he has all these bruises and they want to make sure he's safe.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:33 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• It sounds like the doctor needs to be doing blood work to find out what is wrong with him. This is not normal. It could be an underlying medical condition. Get him to a specialist NOW. Contact your closest children's hospital and get him evaluated. It even sounds like it could be Leukemia (which I am hoping it is not) or a blood disorder, please get him evaluated.

CPS is just trying to do their job, just keep doing what you normally do and what they ask you to do. The more you cooperate the better. Hang in there, I will keep you and your son in my prayers.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:53 PM on Apr. 18, 2009

• My daughter had weird bruises when she was 7 months old(she's 7 now). It turned out she has some markers of a blood disorder. She still bleeds a lot when she is hurt and bruises easily. Fortunately no one called CPS on us.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 8:47 PM on Apr. 19, 2009

• Sorry you ar going through such a tough time trying to help your child. Doctors can be a-holes sometimes. But they are only human and they see soooo many abuse cases that their judgement gets clouded every now and then. I agree with some of the other people here, scream yell shout, just get your point across that something is wrong with your child. Tell them that if they do not start blood work ect. to find the cause of your sons problem you will call a lawyer. That is what I had to do and I GOT RESULTS FAST. Do not let them push you away, I stayed at that hospital for 2 days pacing the floor and shouting. My daughter got the help she needed. After being accused of abussing my precious little girl I finally got the diagnosis (begning external hydrocephalus) water on her brain. It took 3 weeks to get a MRI.
    So put ur foot down & be your childs advocate, no one else will or can for that matter. You are a lion go in & roar!!
    momoftwins825

Answer by momoftwins825 at 9:59 AM on May. 18, 2009