Do you treat other people's children the same in front of their parents as you do when their parents are not around?

Just curious, if you are baby sitting, day care provider, teacher, or even just a friend- do you always treat the child the exact same as you would when their parents are standing right there?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:39 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• not always it depends. if the parent is there it is their responsibility but if you are in my home than yea im gonna say something to the kids if they are acting up
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:41 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I would say no. I am always nice to kids, but if I had to tell a child no when the parents aren't around I would or I would direct them more...if parents are their I leave it up to them. Tone of voice and kindness would be the same. I may be more silly when parents aren't there.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:41 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• yes! if they are misbehaving and the parents arent around I will tell them to stop, but I never scold or discipline them. i always feel weird doing that.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:42 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Yes, I do.
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 12:43 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I don't always. If the kid is usually handled in a more gentle manor I might be a bit more stern that the parents would be comfortable with. But if I am watching them and my ass is on the line for their safety, I wouldn't take a chance by using the same nicey cute tone that isn't working kwim?

Anonymous

• No, I think I am even nicer to them because I want them comfortable in my home. I can remember feeling akward at a friends house when I was little and I don't want them to feel the same.

JenNAY3

Answer by JenNAY3 at 1:51 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• depends on the parent and the kid
    Anonymous

• I don't discipline kids if their parents are present but if I'm having a playdate, I discipline other kids. Otherwise, yes, I treat them the same.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 2:54 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Yes. And it probably irritates some parents because if their kid falls, I'll still react to the child even if the parent is there to handle the situation. I just have to remember to back off once the parent responds (not all of them do). I'm not a teacher or anything, but I play with a lot of kids when I go to pick up my son - sometimes we stay at school for 30-60 minutes extra and the teachers let me volunteer that time and play with the kids. Then when we have play dates or are at the park together, I sometimes feel like I'm watching/playing with them and so react whenever something happens. I'm getting better, but sometimes, the parents aren't paying attention, so I probably won't stop. It's kind of a case-by-case basis, depending on the parents.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 4:05 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Kinda. I'm really only around my nephews and I'm kinda rough around them. They're mom knows it and I assume is ok with it casue she still leaves them with me. I am strict with them but I let them do a lot too. LIke I'm not as nervous as their mom is. I let them climb stuff or eat spicy foods or ride they're bikes up the road. I do this with my kid too. I'm fairly lazie-fair with my parenting style.

When I'm working the nursury in church though I tend to not be no where near as strict. I'm more about just letting some other adult deal with it. I play with the fun kids and let the other nursury worker deal with the bad ones.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 12:32 AM on Apr. 18, 2009