Electric Water Heater?

Does anyone know anything about electric water heaters. I think ours completely went kaput. I'm getting no hot water at all. Does that mean we need to get a new one, right away?

nwdeserangel

Asked by nwdeserangel at 12:41 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I know they go out every like about 15 years its usually something you can't fix or its not worth it you gotta just outright go out and buy one I think your looking at about 300-500bucks depending on what size your getting. My parents just had to put a new one in their house for the first time ever theres just starting leaking came home one day the garage was covered in water which common usually they blow up kinda leak water everywhere, maybe your plug came loose or the temperature control just got messed with though?
    aameliaz

Answer by aameliaz at 1:21 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Well first go down and see if the flame is out.. Sometimes the flame goes out and you have to relight it. However it depends on the year, the new ones, if that goes out, it's done. Some aren't made that way though. So I can't tell you. You can have someone come in and look at it, and see if it's an easy fix.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:53 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• If it is electric, it may just be the heating elements. Unless it is like really old or soemthing. Those tend to go out on electric water heaters. And it isn't very expensive to change them.
    Anonymous

• See if it's the heating element. If it's the entire thing, I recommend getting an on-demand water heater (Renai -?). I would LOVE to have one (which would save me hundreds of dollars a year) but, alas, we rent... We did, however, replace the old water heater with a more efficient one after the old one pretty much exploded into my master bedroom closet!
    Gypsy98

Answer by Gypsy98 at 10:20 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Heating element is my guess too. Don't forget to drain some water from your water heater every six months or so. It reduces sediment and will make heating elements last longer.
    ASunny

Answer by ASunny at 8:46 PM on Apr. 18, 2009