Should presidents get to choose their VP?

I was thinking... Is it always in the best interest of the country to have the pres choose his vp? Should the laws be changed so that the presidential runner up gets the VP spot?

Your thoughts...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:45 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• i think that would be a good idea. but idk sometimes the runner up is a bigge idiot lol .
    Anonymous

• I would worry for the safety of the president that way. I mean, if something happened to Obama, Biden would be pres *shudder* which actually helps the president. If some crazy person thought with the president out of the way THEIR side would be in charge, it might not be good.....

Anonymous

• I don't know enough history to know how the process originated, and I'm not googling anymore today. Sounds like a good idea to me too, but I think the whole pay to play process and having so many favors needing to be granted may make that situation not doable. With winning the Presidency, there comes many perks. Like choosing your sidekick.
    I still think however, Obama never really chose his sidekick, he's way too smart to have chosen Biden on his own, that was all pre-arranged. According to Mrs. Biden anyway!!
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 1:01 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Oh, and thanks for not posting anon, there seems to be so many of those in the last few weeks.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 1:02 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Do you mean the overall runner up, as in McCain would have been VP? That is not a good idea. They are from different parties and have different views on so many things I think it would be really hard for them to agree on anything. If you mean the next runner up in the party, as in Clinton would have been VP, that's not a bad idea over all, although I think it could be more dangerous for the pres. as well like a pp said. I don't think there's really a big issue with the Pres. choosing his or her running mate as it is though, there are enough checks and balances in place IMO that it doesn't make that much of a difference.
    Anonymous

• It use to be that way until the political parties came on the scene. I do not think it would work in this day and time.
    MaryJane849

Answer by MaryJane849 at 2:03 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• On one hand I can see the merit behind that idea. The man in charge would get to choose someone that is in line with his ideas and policies.

But, this could lead to instances of treachery and plotting (like with other world leaders who pick thier own sucsessors)

I think the current system is good in that it keeps a balance even within parties.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 2:09 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

I think it would work, I just think it would make them all very uncomfortable. It's one less political favor the winner gets to grant, and one giant crack in the wall of partisanship that descends after each election. Granted, they can lock the VP out and just send them out to do PR appearances, but at some point they have to be put in the loop in case of emergency. Meanwhile, you'd have chronic VP Biden - always willing to open his mouth, not always keeping your best interests in mind. If nothing else, they'd have to be a lot more diplomatic about their non-partisanship.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:20 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• We vote for Lt. Governors, so voting for a VP isn't that far out or out comfort zone. I think we need to stop using the electorial college before we vote for the VP. I understand why we had it way back when, but now, we don't need to send people with the votes from our state to a central place to cast our votes. My gosh, the main stream media calls the president before any precincts report in anyway.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:35 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• ANON1:23PM
    NO. If I understand the question correctly, the "runner up" would be in the same political party as the winner...so in Obama's case, the VP would have been Hillary! (double shudder) Can you just imagine Mr. and Mrs. Socialist with Slick Willy along for the ride?!?! That would be wrong on so many levels!

But, if the one who didn't win the election, became the VP, regardless of party affiliation, THAT would be interesting--automatically creating a bipartisan partnership!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:53 PM on Apr. 17, 2009