How do you get a breastfed baby to sleep through the night?

I bottle fed my other kids, so for whatever reason it seemed easier to get them to sleep through the night. Now... I have no idea how to do it with my little breastfed one. Any tips or ideas? Or do I have to wait till I wean her?

She is 9 months old and I will continue nursing her at night if that is what it takes, but it would be nice to get a good nights rest too.

bellasrose71008

Asked by bellasrose71008 at 1:02 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Stop breastfeeding and give formula. It is much more filling and like you said, your other kids who were formual fed slept better. Also at 9 months, your baby should be on some solids, so give something like rice or oatmeal baby cereal w/ some fruit for dinner. That will fill up the tummy and we all sleep better on a full belly!
    Anonymous

• I always feed her before bed, I let her nurse for as long as she wants after she eats and it still doesn't work.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 1:14 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• My son is also 9 months and JUST started sleeping this week!
    We started with letting him cry a bit before going in to see if he would soothe himself back to sleep... and then DAD would go in and see if he could get him to sleep first. Because if I went in... hungry or not, he wanted to BF to sleep. When that started to work fairly well we started pushing back when I WOULD feed (try to rock and sing to sleep first)... so he use to wake up at 3 every night, pushed it back every night until he hit 5 am for his wake up time and that is still when he gets up many night and then I just feed him and he goes back to sleep.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:17 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• DO NOT STOP NURSING and give formula that is utterly ridiculous. Giving something filling before bedtime may help, but she might not be waking up because of hunger, but because she has not learned how to self soothe yet. I never stopped feeding either of mine at night until they wanted to. For both that was about 15 months and yes they were still nursing at that point. My youngest is 22 months and still nursing actually. Try the No Cry Sleep Solution if you really want to "night wean" though.
    Anonymous

• You could try some a baby dinner of heavy on protein at night to help. My BF baby didn't STTN until she was 15 months. She's still nursing at 28 months and STTN. I just think children will sleep through the night when they are ready.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 1:24 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• to anonymous 1:20- what is the no cry sleep solution? i need help too. mine is 6 months and wakes every 1-2 hours to BF.
    jamieandjohnny

Answer by jamieandjohnny at 1:45 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• The No Cry Sleep Solution is a book by Elizabeth Pantley.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 2:19 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I second The No Cry Sleep Solution. It's a book, and a good one! It IS possible for a breastfed baby to sleep through the night, I think it's harder because the bond is so much stronger between a breastfed mom and baby, and baby wants to be close to mom and/or nursing alot during the night. Have you tried co-sleeping?

There's no need to stop nursing and give formula, at this point it probably would make things worse if anything because you'd be taking away your baby's biggest comfort.
    Anonymous

• my baby is breastfed and 7 months he hasnt has to eat at night since 4.5 months and peditrician even told me at last check up not to feed at night any more .... are you giving them any solids that seemed to help my son ... and he still wakes occasionally but no feeding also helps if someone besides you checks on them when they wake at night cause bfed babies smell the milk and want it .. but all babies are different. i feed him supper of little cereal and veggies then let him bfed right before laying him down and he goes down 830-900 and sleeps till 530-730 so i feel lucky cause the first 4 months he was up from 12-4am every night .... good luck
    atowne

Answer by atowne at 2:29 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Every baby is different! Some breastfed babies sleep through the night at 6 weeks...some formula fed babies don't sleep through the night until over a year. And either one is completely normal.
    Please don't stop bf'ing...that was horrible "advice" Anon 1:11....you're obviously bitter about breastfeeding for some reason.
    PB_J

Answer by PB_J at 2:55 PM on Apr. 17, 2009