Should I try to introduce potty training at 19mons? I feel it is still too early, but maybe I could start showing her the potty or something just to help her understand??

When did you start and how difficult was it for you?

LainysMommy

Asked by LainysMommy at 1:26 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son was introduced to a potty at 12months old he was allowed to play with it untill 18months then we explalined to him that a pee goes in there ...hes 2yrs old now and we are starting the potty timer every 45mins we take him to potty..weather he goes or not he still gets praise...19months is NOT to early...girls learn quicker...good luck
    connorsmom22607

Answer by connorsmom22607 at 1:27 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• THis is very dependent on the child. My son is 2 and we're just starting to introduce the concept of potty. We read books about it, etc. However, he simply isn't ready yet as he's just now realizing he pees and poops. It certainly doesn't hurt to start talking about it, reading about it , etc, just don't be in too much of a hurry to start training. If the child isn't ready, it will be tough going for both of you.
    Anonymous

• bought my daughter a potty at 15 months an she sat on it. peed maybe once in it then.. now she is 19 months and will walk around with no diaper (at home) will grab herself and we rush to the potty she will pee in it. but fights and screams doesnt want to poop in the potty. If I put pull ups on underwear on her she'll pee or poop like its a diaper. She has been diaperless at home since (18 months) My best advice is when in a diaper keep checking your child to make sure they are dry. the instant they are wet change them. It will keep them used to feeling dry and they will want you to help them stay that way.
    tall_mocha84

Answer by tall_mocha84 at 2:45 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• My dd was potty trained by 18 months watch for the signs like tuggin at her diaper or not likeing to be wet or dirty
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 4:59 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Mine trained at 19 months and did fine. But if you think it's too early, then it's too early... Parents have to be ready for a thing like this! It's never harmful to introduce the potty and let him try it out. As long as you don't force him to sit there for long periods of time, this has never been shown to prolong training or have any negative effects when you do finally start to train.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:31 PM on Apr. 17, 2009