What should I expect when we reach our duty station?

I am really worried about moving and I am really nervous about what people will be like once we get on base does anyone have any advice or stories?

springaponte

Asked by springaponte at 1:29 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Travel

• I would have to say when we went to our first duty station I was very nervous. We were moving across country. We arrived in Wa on Nov 23rd and two days later on the 25th we were at a neighbors house for Thanksgiving. We had the best neighbors in the world. I do not think that they know how much we truly appreciated them. Having said that it just depends on your neighbors. When we were in housing we would have a wave of great neighbors and then a wave of niehgbors that we really did not know. For me I miss the playgrounds that were always within walking distance so I could take my little ones and have a few adults to talk to. When you get to the new station you should look into playgroups and story hours and things like that. Try to meet as many new people as possible. For the most part you are going to be surrounded by people who have been in the same boat and understand you. Good luck!!
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 3:27 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• We've been in 12 years and had many many neighbors and friends over the course of that 12 years! Most of the people we have met have been wonderful, but there are always the drama causing neighbors or the neighbors who just keep to themselves too. But I have made some of the best friends ever since being a military wife. I still keep in touch with many of them and even visit with them when we are going through where they are stationed. I wouldn't worry too much. If you can just kind of go with the flow and not get stressed out in a new area, you will make friends pretty easily.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:07 AM on Apr. 18, 2009

• Definitely having an open mind and an open heart helps tons. If you shut yourself off from others or avoid social gatherings because you dont know anyone...its always bad news since others think you dont like them! been there done that! We love having friends over, but always try to include everyone in your group, singling out one or two people tends to leave others out and causes drama and divides. i dont love anything as much as i love being a military wife! the base will always have something to offer you and yours, but most of the time requires some digging and resourcefulness!! good luck!!
    FoxyRoxyMommy

Answer by FoxyRoxyMommy at 4:03 PM on Apr. 20, 2009