My almost 8 yr. old boy has been throwing fits like a 2 yr old whenever he gets in trouble. Anything from hitting the walls to throwing things. How can I get him to settle down but still get through to him that he's still getting punished for what he did?

olasworld

Asked by olasworld at 2:02 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I wish I knew. My 8yo daughter is like that except she throws tantrums over everything. If she doesn't like what we tell her to do, if she doesn't get her way, if she gets in trouble...whatever she throws a fit. And I mean a full blown tantrum with kicking, screaming, throwing things, etc. It's insane. We're looking into a behavior therapist for her because I can't control her any more and I'm at the end of my rope. It's been getting worse every year since she turned 3 and really disrupts the rest of the family.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:27 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• This is what I do with my 8 yr old. (now keep in mind it's only had to happen 5 times in his 8 yrs) One swat on the butt... not hard just enough to get his attention and I escort him to his room and make him sit on his bed. We he is done with tantrum/crying I will ask him to come out to talk to us and ask him if he knows why I swatted him. He will tell me and I will then explain to him that his behavior was uncalled for and unacceptable PERIOD and it WON'T happen again. Then we ask him what caused the outburst (which is what he got in trouble about in the first place) and he will tell us what he did and then we give out his punishment. Flat out he accepts it bc he has no choice in the matter and he does apologize for misbehaving... Like I said in his entire 8 yrs it's only happened 5 times... not to say he is perfect by no means....lol.. but he understands now that we mean business if he acts out like that..

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 5:31 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I have a 24year old who use to throw tantrums at that age,kicking the walls,yelling(moaning as he calmed down some) just awful! Usually over being asked to do something simple like take his backpack to his room,after school.He always brought home a reward for good behavior at the end of each week...I couldn't figure it out...one day something clicked, he"d talk about things that upset him at school,sometimes daily...This little guy was being SO good at school even when he was upset.He was holding it ALL in.He'd get home and something as simple as being asked to put away his coat or backpack,was too much and he'd burst.All the frustration of the day would come rushing out.I use to have him go to his room until he could calm down(sometimes it was over an hour)then we'd talk.We also tried counseling but, he refused to talk,after quite a few months we finally stopped.Now he's a honors student graduating 2010 with a double major!
    cjsix

Answer by cjsix at 3:12 AM on Apr. 18, 2009