how to i get my 4 month old to sleep longer at nights?

My 4 month old still wakes up every 2 hrs for a feeding. He is saying babies his age do not need to intake calories at night and when thy wake up to cry they are in the habit of just wanting to feed. He said its bad habit and the way to cure it is to let him cry it out and my son will fall asleep on his own. This will happen for 2 wks and then things will be ok. Meanwhile he suggested to give him like a teddybear to hold at nights or something. Maybe cradel him back to sleep. Get in a routine to take him a warm bath before bedtime and feed him befor badtime.

vteck

Asked by vteck at 2:03 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Please dont let him cry it out. At four months old, it is very likely that he's still waking up from hunger, he's still very young! Have you tried co-sleeping? It's okay to nurse him when he wakes up, there's nothing wrong with it and unless it's inconveniencing YOU(not your doctor), nothing needs to change. My one year old still nurses 3+ times a night.

If you feel like you'd like things to change, get a copy of The No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley. GL! :)
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 2:21 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Umm...tried that. Couldn't do it though, it's heartbreaking to hear little one cry! My son just started sleeping all through the night this past week - and he just turned one less than a week ago. He stopped nursing at night around 9 months of age but would still wake up. I would get up and hold him for a minute or two, put on a CD of soft music, and put him back in bed. By ten months he was getting up once per night.
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 2:22 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• For my son...he slept through the night at 7 weeks. We were in a very very steady routine. Pretty much the same thing every single day. Try that. Also, the bath time like a hour before bed is good and then feeding them right before they go down to sleep is good too. Try to set a schedule for the bed time being the same, along with waking up and bath time. Then if you can during the day go on walks keep them awake, get in a very structured routine.
    therese3

Answer by therese3 at 2:22 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• My son still wakes up for a night feed around 12 and he is 16 months.

That is really normal...just feed your child. They are only 4 months!
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 2:33 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I haven't read all the responses so if this is up there sorry =) When my children were around that age I would give them their last bottle with a bowl of baby cereal mixed in a lil gerber juice in it then a bath with the Johnsons Bedtime Bath and massaged them with the matching lotion after that I made sure they had on warm comfy pjs and they would sleep all night. If your lil man is getting up still don't worry bout feeding him and it being a bad thing. My daughter is 9months and this last week shes been waking up wanting to eat its just a growth spurt. Well I don't know if this helps ne good luck
    MaaMee6317

Answer by MaaMee6317 at 3:00 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Feed him! My son did the same thing at night and I thought...well the books said he should only have *this* many bottles and he's had that so he CAN'T be hungry. Wrong. Just like people, babies require different amounts of food. It'll eventually even out, but let HIM set the amount he eats, they spit it out when they're done. Also, like a pp suggested, try giving him a small amount of rice cereal at his last feeding as well. HTH.
    Stormywaters03

Answer by Stormywaters03 at 3:36 PM on Apr. 17, 2009