Why is it that when you say New Mexico, people just assume you are talking about Mexico?

Have people never looked at a map of the United States?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:08 PM on Apr. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I don't know. Same thing happens when you say you are from NY, people assume you mean New York City.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 2:10 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Maybe you are talking to stupid people. Get new associates.
    Anonymous

• I'm originally from WestVirginia, and a startling number of people assume that's a part of Virginia. It's not, and hasn't been since the Civil War. You'd think people would have gotten the memo by now, but apparently US geography isn't something people learn.

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 2:16 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I have no idea. I live in New Mexico and it's a big joke around here that people seem so clueless about it. We all read the "One of Our 50 is Missing" column in New Mexico Magazine and share stories pretty regularly about people who think you live in another country. Ridiculous.
    sophiafarris

Answer by sophiafarris at 2:16 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• Ahahahaha!!! I don't know how many times I've been asked what it's like to live in another country. Or told 'we don't ship internationally'. Ummmm...what????
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 2:17 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I love one of our 50 is missing! I live in NM and it's crazy how people assume we live in Mexico! Also I'm American Indian and people assume I live in a teepee or something...
    momof3jll

Answer by momof3jll at 2:18 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• i have never known anyone to think someone was talking about mexico .
    i guess the people i know ar e abit smarter then that .
    Anonymous

• HAHA momof3jll....seriously! My mom used to work at a local restaurant where we live in very rural NM and we used to get tourists coming through ALL THE TIME who wanted to "see the Indians" and would ask how to get to wherever you would see Indians and teepees and any number of other ridiculous things!
    sophiafarris

Answer by sophiafarris at 2:21 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• omg..are you serious?? people Really think you're talking about Mexico when you say New Mexico? do people really not know that its inbetween Az and Tx?? what abunch of DUMBASSES!! LOLOLOL..
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 2:26 PM on Apr. 17, 2009

• I think when some one says they live in New Mexico that they live in the state of New Mexico, the same with West Virginia, and I used to think everyone in New York lived in the city until I met a woman who was from NY and lived upstate somewhere can't remember what city but after that I was like oh yea dummy NY City is just one CITY in NY.
    violaswamp

Answer by violaswamp at 2:26 PM on Apr. 17, 2009